Kaitlin Jerashen shot this 22.5-pound St. Clair County gobbler on April 10. Her first bird had a 10-inch beard and sported 1-inch spurs. Family friend Mark Anderson, at left, did the calling for Kaitlin.

Illinois turkey season starts strong

April 12, 2010 at 01:45 PM

A warm start to spring has been good news for Illinois wild turkey hunters.

Hunters in the South Zone posted the highest first season kill total since 2004. South Zone gobbler chasers shot 1,637 birds between April 5-9, well above last year’s 1,477 birds and best since the 2004 opening segment produced 1,721 bearded birds.

Opening day was particularly strong, as hunters shot 497 birds compared to 314 last year.

The top five counties so far are Union (100), Pope (96), Jefferson (91), Jackson (87) and Randolph (80).

Kaitlin Jerashen of St Clair County killed her first ever longbeard Saturday, 10 April at first light.  Family friend Mark Anderson, pictured here with Kaitlin, did the calling.  Kaitlin’s trophy weighed in at 22.5 lbs, had a 10 inch beard, and sported 1 inch spurs.  Can you tell she’s happy?

Here are complete county-by-county results for the first season:

Turkeys_2010-S._Zone_1st_season_.pdf

Things didn’t slow down much weekend for Kaitlin Jerashen, who shot the 22.5-pound St. Clair County gobbler pictured above on April 10. Her first bird had a 10-inch beard and sported 1-inch spurs. Family friend Mark Anderson, at left, did the calling for Kaitlin.

The success in the South Zone follows on the heels of good youth hunts in both the South and North zones. Here are totals for those youth hunts.

Youth_turkey_totals-S._Zone_2010_.pdf

Youth_turkey_totals-N._Zone_2010_.pdf

Team On the Edge Outdoors hunting has already harvested two gobblers.  One was killed in the southern zone Saturday and on this morning in the northern zone.  Got one of the up on our website at http://www.ontheedgeoutdoorshunting.com

My season starts Saturday and hope to have the same luck as the other team members.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/12 at 02:51 PM

Got a 23# gobbler this morning at Argyle State Park.  10” beard and 1 1/4” spurs.  Great hunt with my Dad (he’s 73).  I’m 51, but hunting still gets me as excited as a kid.  He was going to have first shot, the bird was trying to sneak past the blind.  He couldn’t turn around far enough, so I put the call down and picked up my shotgun.  Applewood smoked wild turkey tonight and wild turkey salad later this week.  Yummm.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/12 at 03:00 PM

i hit 2 with my hyundai

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/12 at 06:00 PM

shot a 10 1/2 beard with 1 1/8 spurs this morning in peoria county. just wished I could ever get more than one permit. Oh well, great way to start the season and end it too! Good luck too all!

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/12 at 06:04 PM

good going men…all “I could manage was a loud mouth hen to the decoy…she seemed confused when the decoy wouldn’t come with her when she left..can’t wait till daylight in the morning….

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/12 at 07:05 PM

I went with my father-in-law Sunday morning and did not hear a gobble.  I called in a couple of spots with no luck.  My season starts Friday.  Hopefully it picks up.  I have been succesful the last 6 years but I think all the flooding the last few months has really changed their feeding patterns.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/12 at 07:54 PM

Will turkeys cross creeks?

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/13 at 09:17 AM

I have a group that cross my creek everyday.
They get to the edge then take off to the other side.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/13 at 10:41 AM

Treehugger,
I hunt on some land that the turkeys roost on the ridge next to a creek 6 out of 10 times they fly down and feed in the woods or field-then fly across the creeck. Just last week I watched two hens fly over a creek and then the big boy flew across after them! You are better off to get on the same side they are-may have a higher percentage getting the big one!

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/13 at 01:33 PM

My creek isn’t but 6” deep and only 10-15’ across.  Won’t they just walk through it?

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/13 at 03:45 PM

Tree:  Don’t listen to all those glib rules of turkey hunting…..killed my first Illinois turkey in 1975 and have been hunting them since the second Illinois season.  If I’ve learned anything it’s that turkeys will do whatever they want when they want on their schedule.  So just keep calling they’ll fly across that creek if they want to get to that hen bad enough.  Last week I had a subordinate gobbler (2-yr old bird) hang up about 80 yards out, and it didn’t make a difference what calls I gave him, he just was afraid of my B-Mobile Tom decoy.  Apparently, he had just got his butt whipped by some big old dominant bird and he didn’t want anything else to do with what he though might be a dominant gobbler.  So, you never know, the next day I switched to three hen decoys and called in two gobblers within 40 yards.  You have to change your hunting strategy for the situation you are in.  Hope that helps.  If not, come down and book a hunt, I’ll be happy to teach you what you need to know.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/14 at 09:15 AM

got lucky this morning…had 2 first season permits..filled both with one shot this morning….http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2803/4520953178_c52ccdf43a.jpg

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/14 at 10:13 AM

Will turkeys cross creeks?
—————————————-
It depends on if they want to get to the other side.  Sorry I couldn’t resist.  I did shoot one a few years ago that had no problems crossing a creek about 8-10 feet wide and 2 foot banks.  He didn’t fly across and disappeared when he went in, so I can’t really say if he jumped or found a way to stay on his feet.  I can say, he didn’t stay on his feet shortly after he crossed.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/14 at 11:59 AM

Thanks for all the advice guys.  My creek divides my property in half and didn’t know if I got a response from a gobbler on the other side of the creek if I should go to him or let him cross the creek to me.  I’ve shot several gobblers in past years with both gun and bow but I’ve never had a creek to deal with at the old place.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/14 at 12:06 PM

thanks tw ,pure luck on the 2nd bird…

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/14 at 09:44 PM

Good for the environment too, Coon.  Less lead in the ground.
——————————————————————————-
Note:  This is a joke.  Please no lengthy lectures on the environment and the effects of lead.  I know lead is bad, this is merely a joke.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/15 at 10:21 AM

Tree ,I was using copper coated shot..hope it not as bad on the environment as straight lead…LOL

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/16 at 05:56 AM

Congratulations to Katlin! It is good to know we have young people that are getting interested in hunting. My buddy and I hunted 3 days of the first season in Johnson County. On all three days the wind sounded like a freight train going by. I managed to get a gobbler on the 3rd day. My buddy had a 50 yard shot with 3 1/2” #5’s, but failed to drop the bird. We are heading to Missouri on the 23rd of April to hunt turkeys.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/16 at 09:04 AM

I will be in Kirksville Mo. the last week of April…

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/16 at 02:59 PM

Smacked a Knox County gobbler this morning.  Kids and I then found 61 shrooms.  Getting ready for the feast tonight!

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/17 at 02:15 PM

Coondawg, are you going turkey hunting when you go to Kirksville, Mo.?

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/20 at 11:14 AM

Next entry: Red fox nursing kits

Previous entry: Big bass bonanza