Tales from the Timber: Searching pays

January 19, 2010 at 05:35 AM

EDITOR’S NOTE: Here in the words of bowhunter Danny Coon is the story of his hunt for a 17-point Madison County buck.

I was standing in my stand leaning against the tree. There was about about a half hour of daylight left. I saw a deer walking through some honeysuckle so I was watching there to see if the deer would come my way.

Then I heard a noise over my right shoulder, looked over and there he was about 15 yards away and walking right past my tree.

I got turned and grabbed my bow. I drew my bow and tried to stop him but he wouldn’t stop. So I placed the pin and shot.

Noticing the shot was back I waited until dark and climbed down and left trying not to make any noise. A friend and I went back out the next morning and started looking for him. We followed good blood for about 100 yards and the blood just stopped. But we kept looking until we both had to leave.

Then I went back out the next morning and started looking again. I looked for about two and a half hours and was about to give up. Before I quit I decided to check one more place. There he was. He had doubled back and was only about 200 yards from where I shot him.

His gross green score was 207 7/8 and net green score was 195 7/8.

I’m so happy I found him!

Nice buck! Thats a bruin!!!!

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 01/19 at 04:12 PM

Congrats on great lookin’ Buck! I love those wide racks!

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 01/19 at 04:54 PM

So an ill advised shot was taking on a moving deer, but since it’s a big buck, no one mentions it??? Alright, I’ll play along…..Way to be lucky!!!

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 01/21 at 05:12 AM

@ FultonCty… are you this arrogant all the time to everyone you face in person ” pssssttt, I dought it “.......are you the bowhunting worlds Mr perfect?” pssssttt I dought it again !”....geeshhh !

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 01/21 at 03:27 PM

Okay I’ll play along, way to jump to conclusions.  There is a school of thought that shooting a walking deer is the best shot option.  Not a lot of detail in this story, but why always assume the worst.  Congrats to the hunter.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 01/22 at 04:28 PM

Hey its hard to harvest a deer if you don’t shoot! I am glad to point out that this guy did not give up on the chase, he knew he could have made a better shot and we all have been there. He too a nice buck, by taking the shot, Congrats!

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 01/24 at 01:00 PM

Oh geez, not this again

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 02/01 at 07:29 PM

Next entry: Court won’t close shipping locks

Previous entry: Southern Illinois Boat and Fishing Show