Tales from the Timber: DeHaan

December 23, 2008 at 04:42 AM

Aaron DeHaan’s story begins more than a year from the time the Grand Rapids, Michigan native’s bagged his big buck on Nov. 13, 2008.

On Nov. 9 of 2007, DeHaan leased out land owned by Illinois Whitetails LLC president Darrell Smith in Knox County and went hunting with his brother Jason and friends Dr. Frank and Steve Stoltz. The group was producing a video for White Knuckle Productions.

“We were filming in this tree and all of the sudden I hear my brother go, ‘Oh my gosh, there’s a big buck,’’ the 35-year old Aaron DeHaan said. “And I couldn’t turn around fast enough. He saw a big buck go around this hill and he said, ‘He was huge.’ “

And so the hunting began.

The brothers went out shed hunting four months later and a half hour into the hunt found the sheds of the big buck. Knowing the deer was near, the two built tree stands in strategic places around where the sheds were found.

The Sunday before DeHaan’s kill, his brother was hunting the land and saw the same deer 50 yards from his stand. The deer closed to 23 yards, but Jason DeHaan could not get a clean shot as the buck took off with a doe. He did manage to get good video of the deer.

“(Jason) just had a small hole and he was too big of a buck to mess up and take a chance on,” said Aaron DeHaan, who has been hunting since he was 12 years old.

The brothers hunted the property on Monday and Tuesday with no luck. Then, on Wednesday night Jason DeHaan spotted the buck about 80 yards away from another tree stand the two had built near a bean field. They grunted him, but couldn’t get the buck to come in.

“Well, we thought they just cut the corn on the east side of the property, so he’ll probably be over there and he’ll probably have a doe with him tomorrow,” Aaron DeHaan said.
The duo got to the east side stand before daylight on Nov. 13, sat back-to-back and set up the camera.

“I had about a 135-inch, eight-point come in and jump the fence in front of me, but I passed him up,” Aaron said. “He got down wind and ran back through. About 10 minutes later, I had about a 140-inch 10-point come. I probably could have shot him, but he just didn’t impress me. So I thought, ‘You know what, I’m just going to let him go. It’s still early.’ ‘’

Things began to slow down about 9 a.m. but a half hour later the brothers had multiple encounters with does and a six-point came out of the draw.

“About 10 o’clock I hear my brother go, ‘Aaron, Aaron, buck, buck.’ I turn around and here he comes up behind the hill at like 40 yards,” Aaron said. ‘\“He starts straddling the fence line up and it looks like he’s going to jump the fence, but he doesn’t. He continued up the fence and my brother is on him, so I grabbed by bow to turn around and get ready. He ends up closing the distance to 23 yards and I grunted to him, he stopped and I shot him.

“I was pretty happy.”

The buck ran about 80 yards and Aaron was unsure at first if he did get him because the buck took off so fast.

“I didn’t see where the arrow hit. I go back to my brother and say I’m not sure about the hit, I don’t know. My brother’s like, ‘Dude, you smashed him.’ And I said ‘Did I?’ I saw the arrow hanging out of him as he was running away. He said, ‘You hit him hard.’

Jason DeHaan saw the deer start to get tipsy, then lost track of him.

“He ended up going 10 yards from where my brother saw him and piled up,” Aaron said.

The two waited a couple hours, changed clothes and went back to track down the buck. It did not take long to find the massive deer — approximately 80 yards from where the two first found his sheds in the spring and 100 yards from their first encounter.

“He was everything we thought he was,” said Aaron DeHaan, who shot a 130-inch, 8-pointer in 2006.

The buck has an unofficially green score 200 inches and 16 scorable points.

The hunt was captured on film and will be available on White Knuckle Production’s next video, scheduled for release in January.

EDITOR'S NOTE: Look for Tales from the Timber every Tuesday at Prairie State Outdoors.com.

Thats one heck of a buck…. Awesome story.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 12/25 at 06:16 PM

Darrell Smith’s ground is producing some good bucks from what I hear.  This deer here is phenomenal! Look forward to seeing the video.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 12/25 at 06:20 PM

hey Aaron u need another guy to help with getting more video? im a good shot and employable(if thats even a word lol)!!! holler back

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 12/26 at 09:11 PM

Great buck!!! Nov. 13th is a great day to take monsters. I was lucky enough to score a 200” the same day last year. Great job where can we get the video?

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 12/27 at 12:24 PM

Nice buck Aaron, Darrell Smith is as honest as they come.  He has helped us out a lot.  Can’t wait to wacth the hunt on film.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 12/27 at 02:28 PM

Yet another example of a deer that was virtually unavailable to the common man.  Outfitters are taking all of the land we all used to have a chance to hunt, money talks and you can’t hardly blame the landowner but lets be real.  What normal working class guy can afford to pay what these outfitters are charging. I am all for reducing the numbers of outfitters and non-resident hunters in Illinois. It works well in other states it will work here. I personally hunt family owned ground in Brown County and this doesn’t affect me as much as it does some of my friends, but from Halloween through December every other truck you see down there is from out of state.  I am not trying to offend out of staters but why do you need to come here to kill a buck, plus I am for a doe for a buck program for out of staters.  I am not trying to sound like a cry baby I have killed several nice bucks but it is becoming more and more of a rich man’s sport, if I wasn’t fortunate enough to hunt ground thats been in my family for years I would probably have to hang it up.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 12/27 at 04:09 PM

Doesn’t Michigan have any deer?  If you take care of the deer in Michigan you can have the same opportunities.  But then again your out to make cash selling videos so you hunt every state non-stop.

I am all for increasing the Outfitter and Out of State Hunting Fees.  Maybe they can support Illinois with all their cash.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 12/27 at 10:27 PM

I’m surprised it took til the 6th post to start bashing out of staters… Come on guys, get a life, wake up and smell the coffee, and realize that your free ride at the expense of landowners is over!  You want to hunt private ground?  Either pony up and buy some ground or pay some rent for it.  Check the paper, there are land auctions all the time, but wait you would have to actually BUY the land.  It’s that simple.  It’s not your right to hunt private ground for free.  It’s not your right to expect a landowner to bow down to your sniveling while you cut down trees and destroy fences without permission.  It’s not your right to slash tires or disturb someones hunt because they don’t live in the same state as you.  Is every outfitter above the board? No, but obviously neither are some of the in state hunters after reading comments on this website.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 12/28 at 01:43 PM

Its not a free ride. Somehow Out-Of-Stater’s lease neighboring land and think they can trespass onto my private ground (even tear down the No Trespassing Signs). How do I know - trail cam photos of them.  But its all right cause their paying to hunt illinois.  They even think they are above the law.  I got an idea.  If they want to hunt all of Illinois make it cost like they are hunting all of Illinois.  Maybe the video proceeds should be taxed and left in illinois on capital gains.  Wanna shoot Video of you Hunt in Illiois then Pay the price.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 12/28 at 02:05 PM

CPO Reports: (just a few of them)
A CPO cited two Louisiana subjects for hunting without a valid license and for hunting without a valid deer permit in Christian County.

A nonresident from North Carolina pleaded guilty to Outfitting without a License and Unlawful Possession of a Whitetail Deer. He paid $100 fine and court cost on each charge and a $7500 civil penalty. He also forfeited two deer heads.

A CPO cited a Pennsylvania man for archery deer hunting without permission of a landowner in Coles County.

A CPO caught two subjects with untagged deer in Franklin County and two Florida residents deer hunting in Franklin County without permits; hunting over bait; uncased guns in vehicle; unplugged guns; and no blaze orange.

Welcome to Illinois, were the laws are enforced.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 12/28 at 02:16 PM

Three outfitters alone in Brown County have been caught cutting fences.  One actually cut fence on one of my fammily members farm. No self respecting peron with permission to hunt would do anything to jeopardize that.  You speak as if land comes cheap, I also happen to farm and ground for farming has gone up tremendously because of the prices outfitters are willingly to pay just to hunt it.  So tell me snshunts how it is that simple. Fact one acre of ground where my farm is used to be worth $800 an acre now guys are getting almost $3000 and you cannot make a living farming this ground.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 12/28 at 04:01 PM

SNS hunts, free ride may be over for some of us but alot of us don’t expect a free ride. There still are alot of farmers around my area that don’t need to lease their ground to outfitters or Nonresidents.  They still enjoy the company of local hunters and appreciate the fact that hunters help around their farm with odds and ends. When are guys like you going to realize that not all farmers fall in the category in which you mention.  I happen to own my own land so I have ponied up.  Maybe you need to wake up and smell the coffee. The whole state of Illinois doesn’t have a price tag on it when it comes to deer hunting.  Yes, outfitters have the right to lease ground and try and make a buck but realize one thing!  There are alot of guys that won’t put a price tag on our property no matter what a outfitter or nonresident offers us.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 12/28 at 06:37 PM

I farm as well and am very aware of the price of land, and that’s my point.  Farmers are looking at any way possible to get a better return from the land they purchased.  If a farmer isn’t a hunter and is approached to rent his land for hunting for some extra income, should he say no because someone else asked to hunt for free???  Be happy farmland is only $3000/acre around you, it’s going for over $6000/acre around me.  You yourself admit it’s hard to make a living, but then turn around and complain about the money being paid by outfitters.  It just burns me when non-landowners complain about out of staters actually paying for the right to hunt private ground.  For every story you guys can come up with about out of staters breaking the law there are just as many in staters doing the same.  As Tired of it stated in his last sentence, enforce the laws on the books.  I agree 100%, just don’t add more BS laws or you just sound like a Democrat!!!  There are bad apples on both sides of the fence so don’t try to pen all your troubles on the out of staters.  I’ve seen in staters do the same things you guys are pinning on out of staters, but I don’t see you complaining about that!!!  Is it OK for in staters do break the law???  I agree 100% than there are issues with the current state of Illinois deer hunting.  There are a lot of emotional statements being said on this subject, but emotions can sometimes cloud better judgement.  Focus that emotion towards the issues in the state government that have let Illinois deer hunting get to the point it has.  Tell your representatives that you want Blagojevich out of office.  Tell them that you are concerned with the state of the DNR.  If the 100,000+ resident hunters voice their concerns about the state, then someone will listen.  Go after the root of the problems, not the results of the the real problems.  Illinois deer hunting will be better served by fixing the problems in the governor’s office and the DNR’s office and complaining about a few bad apples from out of state than aren’t any worse than the bad apples from in state.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 12/28 at 06:50 PM

illbowhunter,  Your example is the great with the hunter helping the farmer, but too often I see hunters taking advantage of the farmer which upsets the farmer and sends him looking at other alternatives.  The point I am trying to get across is that there are bad apples on all sides, but there are more good apples than bad on all sides.  To place the blame on one group when all are at fault in some way, shape or form is just stupid.  As I stated above, if all of this negative energy were focused at the root of the problem instead of one of the offshoots of the problem, then something might get done to address the real problem.  Hopefully all will understand this and will stop making general accusations toward one group of hunters that isn’t entirely at fault.  This in-fighting is just more fodder for the antis to use to to end ALL hunting opportunities for ALL hunters.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 12/28 at 07:00 PM

I agree with the fact the DNR needs some changes made, however being a democrat or a republican has nothing to do with it. The fact is that most guys cannot afford to pay outrageous fees to hunt with an outfitter or match what the outfitters are willing to pay.  Whether you want to admit this or not it is a major problem affecting the outdoor industry in this state.  By the way if ground is $6000 an acre around you , it must be fairly fertile ground which in all reality has therefore not been affected by hunting at all.  I know of ground going for $7200/acre and there isn’t an outfitter within 40 miles of it.  You are right the problems fall on more than one pair of shoulders but there needs to be a system of checks and balances to keep a level playing field.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 12/28 at 08:56 PM

As a landowner it disturbs me how often the local hunters are getting slammed on this site they are not all freeloaders the ones that hunt with me treat the ground like its their own it amazes me how many farmers lease there ground have to make up excuses for the reason why: slob hunters cut fences ruts in field they shot my goat the bottom line is they dont need a reason they own it they can do whatever they want with it. The state needs to cash in on this action raise the cost of resident permits to 30 dollars raise the cost of non residents 50% tax the outfitters at a rate of 40% and the farmers who lease to outfitters 28% The Non residents and outfitters should also pay a county tax in the amount set by that county this would generate enough revenue to bring back check stations cut the number of permits issued and hire staff to manage the DNR the way it should be

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 12/28 at 09:38 PM

Slamming non-residents? Hmm. I love pheasant hunting in South Dakota and Iowa. And duck hunting in North Dakota. And fishing in Wisconsin. Guess they are all slamming me in those states, since I’m a scummy non-resident. But personally, I don’t fault someone who travels out of their home state to hunt.

Posted by Jeff Lampe on 12/28 at 10:13 PM

Congrats to him! Way to do your homework, and get the job done!

Posted by Willie on 12/29 at 01:38 AM

Jeff there are no trophy pheasants or ducks and fish dont count try and go to Iowa or Kansas deer hunting hard to get permits to hunt Trophy Game cant buy em over the counter like you can a pheasant stamp. If i didnt have a place to hunt I would drop 3000 to hunt at Illinois Whitetails Look at all the free advertising this web site has provided them this is the second time his picture has appeared with the outfitters sign HMM coincidence I think Not

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 12/29 at 07:54 AM

I’m in Knox County and Illinois Whitetails has leased ground not too far from me.  Recreational ground is over $3000/acre right now.  Average farm ground it $4500-$5500 and prime ground it over $6000.  Again, my point is that it’s not all non-residents at fault, it’s not all residents at fault, and its not all outfitters at fault.  There are bad apples in all groups, and if the state could take care of its business, there would be less bad apples all around.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 12/29 at 09:00 AM

I’m all for cutting back the number of non-resident permits in Illinois as well as raising the price.  I also would like to see the outfitters in this state monitored more closely. The senseless slaughter of does that just end up getting dumped and the number of 110”-120” bucks that get killed just because they’re Illinois bucks is what the outfitters are giving us.  It’s just sad what you people have done to our deer hunting heritage.  You definitely took deer hunting for a turn in the wrong direction.  Greed and corruption have turned deerhunting into an industry and made it to where if you don’t have the money, you don’t hunt.
It’s not a matter of having to “pony up” because even if a guy can come up with some money the greedy evil empire of outfitters and video mongers will simply write a bigger check.  Getting permission used to be a hand shake and most of the time ended up in a long lasting friendship.  The ones who act like they own the place are the pay to play guys who cut fences, shoot cattle, shoot roundbails, 4 wheel everywhere, drop beer cans, litter, trespass, poach, etc…. Because they can!  Because they paid!
What fuels this fire is the videos people!  Keep buying them up and they’ll keep making more.  More and more idiots coming out of the woodwork every year to be the next “Hollywood Hunter”!  How does everybody know about the big Illinois deer?  Why does everybody want to come here? Why is there no more hunting ground that an average income can afford?  Because everybody wants to come here and shoot a video to make a buck$$ and then the 5000 idiots that bought the video come to Illinois the next year.
You want these retard photos with advertisements in the background to stop?  Stop giving them your money!

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 12/29 at 09:04 AM

I wish deer would quit growing antlers.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 12/29 at 12:12 PM

Hey ilbowhunter80 - let me get this straight, you are talking about deer being “virtually unavailable to the common man” and “outfitters are taking up all of the land”, yet you then state that you hunt family-owned ground.  What the difference?  Unless you are letting every “common man” that asks for permission to hunt, hunt the family ground, then it is still the matter of select individuals hunting select parcels of land. The only difference is you just so happened to get to hunt the ground by birth-rite, verses paying to hunt it like people who lease/buy ground.  Where does that help “Joe the Plumber’s” problem with hunting access?

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 12/29 at 01:25 PM

Not sure I really like the fact that this outfitter is getting free advertisement out of this deal. Considering I sent a picture to PSO of a bunch of local kids/Illinois residents who got to hunt some prime outfitted land on the youth hunt.  The outfitter donated hunts to organizations such as NTWF, Whitetails Unlimited, PF etc.  It didn’t have a big deer in front of the outfitters sign but it did show the kids who had a great time, most of them on their first deer hunt and it did show how this outfitter opened up his ground to these kids.  The guy did a great job with the kids and I truely appreciated what he tried to do for our kids. It would be nice if other outfitters did this for our kids.  My case in point.  Don’t lump all outfitters in that dirtbag category, there are actually some out there that see beyond the dollar. Our kids are our future and if we don’t get them into hunting we have lost the battle.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 12/29 at 02:49 PM

According to their site thats a

$2,950.00 Buck

I bet he’s glad he didn’t wait until until first firearm or it would cost $3,200.

Wait, he will just get commercial industry to pay for it (its in a video right?).

Its about making money not about keeping hunting a family thing.

Do you think the average person could go and take their kid hunting at that price?

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 12/29 at 04:02 PM

Well Deerbanger, to be completely honest no one has ever asked permission to hunt my ground.  Most landowners that I know only allow hunting if they are non-hunters.  This is a logical move to me, if I didn’t hunt I would let trustworthy people hunt it.  However if I gave up my spot that by chance is family owned, would you give up your chance to hunt ground you owned or had permission to hunt.  The answer is no.  There are very few hunting landowners that are giving there land away in ridiculous leases that give outfitters free roam of their property. Also family owned property and leased property by outfitters are two different animals for the landowner still pays property taxes for his ground and is not making lucrative profit by recreational use.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 12/29 at 04:43 PM

face it guys the landowners and ppl that lease the land are never gonna go away and me being a little guy cant afford the prices and thats what we are complaining about me included but i have had to resort to hunting public ground which isnt all bad but i think if you are an out of stater and u come here to hunt u need to break your balls and get a second mortgage on your house and get ahold of snshunts and all his buddies and stay out of the public grounds cuz seriously if u spend over 400 dollars for all your permits and 60 a night for a hotel 20 per meal so 60 a day to eat. just for a week of hunting thats gonna cost you 1000 dollars for a week to hunt public ground and prolly go home empty handed cuz the deer ur after just arent there and prolly never will be so spend another 500 and they will get u the “buck of a lifetime”!!!!! and me and all my brothers on here can get the meat we are after without having all the spooked does that have ran into the guys the dont want them but have educated them for me when i get there to hunt.like this year 2 guys all the way from louisiana were at the public spot i was at and i had hunted there alot and have to drive an hour to get there and had not had any chances but i was talking to them and they were seeing 10 -20 a night but “we aint seen none of those illinois deer every one shoots on tv”.....guess what they r with snshunts and his buddies so talk to them!!!!!!!and i will not hunt outta state cuz i know what its like to be pinched for a spot and i dont want to do it to someone else cuz yeah i would like to kill an elk but they are like deer for those guys like whitetails are for us!!!so talk to an outfitter and you guys can rub weiners together cuz for what u pay that should be included!!!

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 12/29 at 07:08 PM

I have hunted in Illinois the past 4 years, I have hunted with a few small outfitters, and currently lease some land from Darrell Smith and Illinois Whitetails.  He has been completely honest with me with everything I done with him.  He is trying to make a living doing what he loves and has a passion for.  He deals with hard working people and usually all his leases are renewd year in and year out.  I know that I take care of the land I lease like it was my own, and try to leave it in someway better than it was.  I know the pressure farmers are facing tring to compete for land becasue I am one from Michigan.  If they can make unproductive land they own show a profit they need to do so to compete with their neighbors.  I own land with a lot deer on it.  I truly like hunting Illinois much more, here in Michigan it looks like Haloween every Nov. 15 with orange hunters everywhere all chasing the first deer they see, neighbors fitghing over a deer that fell just across the fence line, etc, I enjoy bringing family members and spending time with them away from the hassle. We enjoy not only the best deer hunting in the world but also some of the crop land and crops in the world.  Hunting is not just about killing a deer,that is truly easy to do whether I am in Michigan or Illinois, it sounds to me that there is a bit of jealous people out there, and its not only in Illinois.  Some of you complaning will probably see a decline in the near future with the state of the economy, a lot of people will be forced to stop doings extra things like leasing or purchasing out of state land.  What’s really bad is when that hurts local business’ who need the extra income boost from out of state hunters or how about a outfitter who employees fulltime local residents.  Hunting is a big business no matter where you are, in business you have to take the good with the bad.  Anyway Aaron that is an awesome buck!

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 12/29 at 08:26 PM

chris kelley,  I am NOT an outfitter.  NONE of my friends are outfitters.  I COULDN’T pick an outfitter out of a line-up because I DON’T know any of them by name or face.  I DON’T know any of your TV stars either.  I DO NOT lease my ground to outfitters or other hunters.  I farm 260 acres of land that is a combination of tillable, timber, and CRP.  I farm this with 25+ year old machinery that has been purchased by either myself or my father.  I hunt this land and allow family and close friends to as well, in return they help me out with projects that I can’t handle myself.  THINK about what you are typing before you go trashing somebody you’ve never met!  This is the sh!t I’m talking about.  Mr. Kelley apparently knows me better than I do eventhough he’s never met me!  Just like he knows every outfitter and every non-resident hunter in Illinois are bad people!  Keep it up Mr. Kelley!  Fuel the hunter vs. hunter fire, and let the antis swoop in and take ALL of our hunting away from us.  I guess you’ll have the last laugh then, won’t you???

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 12/29 at 08:43 PM

well sns sorry for the misunderstanding but ur name looks like an outfitters business name so my bad and im glad u own land good luck but my point is that the out of staters need to stay out of our public hunting grounds cuz its getting to be thats the only place for the common guy to hunt and that was directed toward u cuz i thought u were an outfitter but disregard that but i wish the state would close the parks to out of state hunters cuz im a meat hunter and its getting harder and harder to do that i could give a crap less if it has antlers cuz if u kill one big enuf ur gonna lose ur spot to deeper pockets so i avoid that situation and just hunt state ground and now thats not even a fool proof plan thanks to our great governor!!!!!! i guess me and all the guys like me are just plain F@#KED!!!!!!!!

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 12/29 at 10:34 PM

Sorry to upset everyone this much. For the record, we do not get advertising money from the outfitter in question. We’d like to get some, in fact the existence of this Web site depends on us generating money. But money is not required for a picture or story to be featured.

In this case, the outfitter provided pictures. The picture had a pretty good story to go with them. We also have about 200 other stories of non-outfitted hunts in Illinois under our Big Buck Stories section. And we have a few others about non-residents or outfitters.

I understand the resentment toward outfitters. But at the same time, how many of you are leasing your own ground and displacing people who “always hunted there?” How many purchased ground that displaced people who “always hunted there?” Is that wrong? No.

I dislike outfitters who lie or break the rules. For that matter, I don’t like resident hunters who lie or break the rules either.

Anyway, given the anger that greets nearly every of these Tuesday Tales from The Timber, maybe we should end the entire concept. My thought was to provide deer stories people could read year-round every Tuesday. Some might be from outfitters. Some might be from people who shoot bucks others don’t think are big enough. Some might even be does. Or kids. But if this level of griping and complaining is what we encounter, it might not be worth the effort.

Sorry to join the whiners, but that’s where I’m at right now.

Posted by Jeff Lampe on 12/30 at 07:28 AM

Jeff I like the stories why not have tales from the timber without comments just good stories of hunters taking deer Notice I didnt say resident hunters I think you need forums to get hunters opinions on topics such as antler restrictions longer season shorter seasons outfitters resident idiots non resident idiots and so on let people voice their opinions instead of slamming every picture you post have it on friday you can call it fanatic friday I have a topic you can start with Late winter firearm season Dont join the whiners remember thats why they pay you the big bucks

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 12/30 at 07:57 AM

Hey Jeff2020, thanks for making me laugh. That’s the kind of editing I need. But with Xmas vacation still in force and rugrats running wild in many houses, we had better not even joke about shooting kids.

Posted by Jeff Lampe on 12/30 at 08:30 AM

Hey Jeff L, if we’re not careful, the outdoor writers will be on the “game animal” list! I’m almost there :-(

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 12/30 at 08:45 AM

Mark….Jeff….please post that story I sent you. The one about “Cannibals and usefull idiots”. It fits in perfect here with everything thats going on. If you need me to send you another copy of it just let me know….but it needs to be seen by everyone here…..it’ll hit home.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 12/30 at 09:50 AM

Jeff, I agree that these stories should be kept.  But to keep this place from turning into what it seems to be turning into, then I guess you should pick and choose the stories a bit more carefully.  Most of us don’t want to see it, but I guess any story that anything to do with a non-res shooting anything in Illinois or anything to do with a outfitter should be left alone.  That is very sad but it looks like it has come down to that.  Some people can’t leave it alone and will continue to bash anyone and anything that is associated with the topic at hand and that is going to include PSO for just posting the story.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 12/30 at 11:00 AM

To follow up with what MattS said, just post the story with the hunter’s name and location of the hunt (if it’s ok with the hunter to do so).  Leave out any mention of outfitters or where the hunter is from.  Heck if that would have been the case in this story, none of this would have even surfaced.  Apparently the mention of landowners, outfitters, and non-resident hunters is too much for some people to handle.  Stories that showcase nice bucks harvested in Illinois, regardless of where the person is from, are great.  It shows that hunters that put in the time (and yes sometimes even money) are still taking quality deer from our state regardless of what the naysayers want to think.  Thanks for posting the articles.  It gives some of us something to look forward to for the rest of this season and into the future.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 12/30 at 11:50 AM

Chris Kelly,

“if u spend over 400 dollars for all your permits and 60 a night for a hotel 20 per meal so 60 a day to eat. just for a week of hunting thats gonna cost you 1000 dollars for a week to hunt public ground and prolly go home empty handed “

Dude, what is with the math on this? your exageration makes you lose credibility.  if someone budgets they can hunt real real cheap in some dang good spots. I dont wanna give away a hotspot of mine but i will anyways. Scripps state park in Schuyler cty, IL hardly ever is hunted and you can stay in a hotel in rushvile for 45 bucks a night. its a steal.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 12/30 at 12:57 PM

For all of you idiots out there that have nothing better to do than attack someones LEGAL way of hunting….this story is for you.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 12/31 at 10:00 AM

Nice story Ronbo Anti hunters have always been here always will be the problem is displaced hunters the ones you call idiots have lost all there hunting ground you know the factory worker construction type guys who work for a living hunt on weekends every landowner has a right to do whatever with their property lease it outfitt it or not allow hunting at all I just hope they dont throw in the towel when the anti hunting movement really comes after hunting I know guys who lost ground they hunted for 30 yrs they have told me they dont care if the antis shut hunting down for good that bothers me any way in this state MONEY TALKS and we all know whose got it This problem not happening in other states thats the million dollar question why is it a problem in ILLINIOS

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 12/31 at 11:16 AM

I have lost 2 pieces of hunting ground to leases in the last 10 years. This year I didn’t even get to hunt after the ground was leased out from under me. I spent my money to get the permits and all for what? I’m not out there for for a big buck, I’m hunting for the meat. If I have to lease the ground to hunt then I’m done with hunting forever.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 01/01 at 07:52 AM

Jeff - hunting is becoming a rich mans sports.  As soon as the outfitters lease out all the ground in illinois then you will only be able to watch it on TV which is another money pit funding this spiral.  I am just glad that fishing for a monster bass isn’t in the same situtation or lakes and farm ponds would be leased out by the week.  Can you imagine - 1 week pond lease to fish for a big bass?
If your willing to pay 3-5 grand to hunt a lease for 100 lbs of meat then why not just go to a farmer and pay him to sit in his cattle pasture and pay him to shoot one of his cows.  Beef is tastier and no permit is required to hunt a corn feed monster Angus - is would be cheaper and think of the T-bones, sirloins, etc..

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 01/01 at 11:17 AM

Next entry: Pardon allows man to resume hunting

Previous entry: Southern Illinois waterfowl survey