Shed hunters out in force

February 09, 2009 at 06:24 PM

The recent warm spell certainly brought out the shed hunters in Illinois.

We’ve had numerous reports of sheds found in recent days. Here are a few.

Dan Keyt of Brimfield was joined on Saturday by his 9-year-old daughter, Bree. “Out of the blue, she asked to go and I couldn’t resist. It was a very special afternoon with just her and I walking around looking at trails and deer sign. As we walked down one of the trails, I told her to go one way and I followed another path and about 50 yards later she found this nice 4-point. It was awesome to see the look on her face as she held her trophy. Bree has gone with us before, but she had never found one of her own, until Saturday. Her brothers were giving her some grief about all the ones they have, but she didn’t care. She carried it around all day.”

Saturday was also productive for Jim Mordacq of Springfield.

“Found one lying on the ground adjacent to a creek. I’ve read that a creek crossing or fence crossing are good places to look because the antler is jarred loose. I’m still seeing some bucks with antlers but now is the time to start hitting the woods.”

Not everyone was so lucky. Kevin Chapman spent time in the woods Saturday and reports he found several matched sets. Only problem was, he couldn’t catch up to them.

My mom and I spent 4.5 hrs in the woods searching evern nook and cranny we could find. Not one antler was found.  I grid searched three different bedding areas, searched the edge of several fields (way to muddy to attempt to walk) and travled just about every path we could find.  I’m going to try again next week, maybe I will have better luck.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 02/10 at 09:37 AM

I haven’t been out yet.  Next weekend will be the 1st free one in a while for me, so I hope to get out and look for sheds and take inventory of this year’s deer sign.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 02/10 at 10:20 AM

Took my 5 year old out today and he found 4, one was a match to a monster I had found 10 days ago.  This was a first for him, he has been out plenty of times but has never really found any.  It all goes back to the closer to the ground theory.  Now I hope hes as hooked as I am.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 02/10 at 05:50 PM

I have a buddy who tries to shoot the antlers off with a rifle usually starting around March 1, I’m assuming this is illegal. He says as long as he doesn’t hit the deer itself he’s doing nothing wrong. I tell him you can’t do that, does anyone know for sure? I don’t see anything against it in rules and regs.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 02/11 at 01:54 PM

Yea, it seems stupid. I talked to another guy that shoots them with a tranquilizer gun then kicks their antlers off. That seems even worse. I guess with sheds worth so much money people will do about anything. I should probably turn them in if these things are illegal, but not sure they are, like I said I see nothing about it in rules and regs.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 02/11 at 03:57 PM

March 5, 2007 shed trip.  8 bucks in winter bachelor group we had kept an eye on through end of Jan.  Walked the property for 4 hours in search of antlers.  We jumped up all 8 in the last 5 acre weedpatch.  Suprisingly, 1 had dropped both, 2 had half-racks, and the remaining 5 sported full racks.  It’s amazing the variation in when they drop.  We found sheds on the same farm in mid-January in 2008.
Have also seen an antlered buck in April each of the last 2 years.  Don’t worry though, I’m not the only nut driving around looking for antlered bucks in April.  My hunting buddies do it too!!!

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 02/11 at 05:33 PM

To D4threeon, your friend is an idiot and if you consider yourself an outdoorsman you should be sickened by his actions.  Even mentioning something so stupid should be a crime.  You should be ashamed of your “friend” and turn him in.  I have never sold one of our sheds, every one has a story to tell and just having them reminds us everyday of the challenges we faced finding them.  It is a family event for us and I am proud of how my kids are growing up to be responsible sportsman, unlike your “buddy”.  Maybe you should reread the article and grow up.  You need to find new friends, because they are ruining it for EVERYONE else.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 02/12 at 08:32 AM

I hope d4three that you are joking about your friend who has acted in the manner you are mentioning.  That is criminal.  The fact that you are mentioning it, makes you appear to be an accomplice.  I think a lesson in common sense 101 is in order.  Tell me you aren’t serious d4three!

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 02/12 at 07:00 PM

well put andy

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 02/12 at 08:22 PM

I tell my buddy I think it’s illegal to point gun at deer out of season and he laughed at me. He said “How many times you think guys point their gun at a squirrel during shotgun deer season without realizing it or miss a deer and almost hit a squirrel, is that a crime?” I guess he’s right, we’re probably all guilty of near misses with wrens or rabbits or squirrels or whatever. That’s just part of the risk. I’m a firm believer though if you were to miss a deer and shoot an animal that is out of season, you need to turn yourself in.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 02/12 at 08:54 PM

d4three please tell me what county your friend and u hunt

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 02/12 at 10:07 PM

Hunter 770 I hunt in Piatt, he hunts over in Pike

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 02/13 at 10:59 AM

I’m not PETA because I am strict on the game laws. If you shot an animal out of season what would you do? Bury it or hide it? I would immediately take it to my truck, call the game warden and gladly accept my ticket. Theres too may out there doing sneaky things. Go by your game regs. When the rules are broken it makes us all look bad. We need to stick together. We need to police ourselves we can’t depend on the government. If I find out from a reputable source that you can’t shoot deer antlers off I’ll be the first to blow the whistle.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 02/13 at 11:16 AM

If you can’t tell the difference between a wren/rabbit/squirrel and a deer BEFORE you pull the trigger, you shouldn’t be pulling the trigger!!!  Squirrels must be think in Pike county if you have to worry about hitting one if you miss a deer…  Whether the law specifically states it or not, shooting at any part of a deer out of season is illegal plain and simple.  Would your buddy turn himself in if he missed the antlers and hit the head?

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 02/13 at 12:02 PM

Sntchhunter, It’s not a matter of accidently shooting the animal, it’s a matter of pointing your gun at it. That’s the issue. Plus who’s to say you won’t miss a deer and hit a rabbit back in the brush. I’m just saying if you do that you need to be a man, call the game warden and turn yourself in, that’s all. Slugs are not legal ammo to shoot rabbits and that is a violation. Renegades like you need to stay home. I talked to my buddy, he said if he hits a deer he will call the law immediatelly.  I respect him for that greatly.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 02/13 at 07:18 PM

Renegades like me???  I’m not shooting at animals out of season!!!  YOUR BUDDY IS!!!  Nice play on my screen name, btw.  Apparently you are willing to look the other way when you’re buddy is breaking and/or bending the law.  I consider what he is doing as poaching.  Turning in poachers is not snitching as you slyly insinuate, but doing the RIGHT THING!  You yourself stated you think it’s illegal, but apparently you’re too much of a “man” to turn him in.  Why don’t you ask a CPO about shooting antlers off of deer and see what he says.  My guess it he will be asking for the name of your buddy…

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 02/15 at 02:38 PM

I’ve heard it all now..I honestly can’t believe some of the stories I read in these forums. No wonder landowners won’t let anyone hunt their land anymore…

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 02/16 at 07:38 PM

Next entry: Cooks get creative with wild game

Previous entry: Oil spill contaminates Des Plaines River