Illinois morel season under way

April 05, 2010 at 08:18 PM

On Saturday, Michael Brown found one lone gray morel mushroom in St. Clair County.

That’s worth noting, certainly. Much more impressive, though, is Brown’s find today. Hunting in St. Clair County with his kids Hannah and Michael, the Browns located a mess of 37 morels.

“I have been finding mushrooms in this spot for years. They were all under 10 inches of leaves, so if you didn’t know where they come up every year it would have been a real shot in the dark,” the elder Brown said. “This area is almost all elm and ash trees so it is prime ground. The rest of our area should pick up soon.”

That just goes to show how much things can change in the timber. Given a few more warm days, we expect mushroom reports will be coming from all over.

That includes Fulton County in central Illinois, where Julie Rilea of Canton found 87 small gray morels last Thursday while cleaning her yard. Rilea told the Canton Daily Ledger that many of the 2-inch morels were lined up along the side of an apartment building, where they were nestled in a mossy, muddy shaded area. Another 20 were growing in a circle.

Click here for a more complete list of morel reports so far this month on Morels.com.

Early success probably due to Global Warming or Climate Change or whatever it’s being called this week.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/05 at 09:21 PM

Treehugger—Back in 1976, I had a college professor who had worked in the oil industry.  We were discussing paleontology when this guy starts talking about “atmospheric modification” from the introduction of gasses, like CO2, as a result of human activities.

For me, the discussion of climate change is nothing new.  Armed with the insights of that one lecture, I’ve watched for 34 years as fossil fuel consumption has risen, tropical forests were cut down, the permafrost began to warm and the rapid melting of “permanent” ice caps began to accelerate.

I’ve also watched as the vultures returned progressively earlier, as migratory geese stopped going so far south and as winters took a trend toward becoming more moderate.

It amazes me that people can deny any effect resulting from the annual human introduction of billions of tons of gasses into the Earth’s atmosphere.  It’s just simply amazing….

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/06 at 10:00 AM

Boney—Yep, climate change is a natural fact, but the time frames involved stretch across 1,000s of years in the natural cycle.  The problem is the acceleration of climate modifications as a result of human activities.

Here’s a good exercise…look around and try to find just one item that was not procured at some cost to the environment.  Just try to find one and report back.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/06 at 11:43 AM

This website has a nice progress tracker map: http://thegreatmorel.com/sightings.html.  The last week of April seem to be the magic week to start finding them for me.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/06 at 12:00 PM

It’s embarrasing Spoon River that the United States is the only nation on the face of the earth that has politicized this issue, to the point where many can no longer look at the evidence and the science objectively. But then we are a nation with it’s fair share of evolution-denying schoolboards, so it should come as no surprise.
———
The fact that this is happening in the blink of eye in geologic time apparently hasn’t dawned on the folks in denial…..but arguing with them is pointless, they’ll end up knee deep in water in the span of a single human generation, and still have a pocketfull of fresh excuses.
———
With these bluebird days and ground moisture it should turn out to be a good year for the shrooms…...

Posted by Henry Holt on 04/06 at 12:02 PM

Henry,

Imagine the irony in following the “science” of something like deer management, but discounting any other science that you don’t happen to agree with.
==
These people think that climatologists, meteorologists and researchers from around the world, NASA, NOAA, USGS, the US military, the CIA, I could go on…are somehow pulling off a hoax.
==
It boggles the mind…

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/06 at 12:14 PM

Back to the ‘schrooms… Where in St. Clair County??

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/06 at 12:44 PM

Brilliant replies Spoon River and Henry Holt.  I’m amazed at how many people belive global warming is a hoax.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/06 at 01:51 PM

Again I ask, where EXACTLY did ya find the shrooms??

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/06 at 05:55 PM

If you can’t find any mushrooms it’s because they are in the standing corn, or the Pike county cougars are feasting on them.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/06 at 09:37 PM

Holy Gore Crap Batman!  It was a joke.  Lighten up.  This is about shrooms, not global warming.  But since you brought it up, there is as much info against global warming as there is for it…probably more.  Who’s fault was the Ice Age?  Dino crap?  Ask Gore how much money he’s made in the past few years buying up his carbon credits.  Global warming, fact or fiction, has become big Lib business for sure.  Now please, it was a joke.  Let’s get back to shrooms.  I looked last weekend for a bit but came up empty.  Going again this weekend.  Good luck to all.

Also heard some turkeys gobbling this evening while checking trail cameras.  Pretty cool for property that doesn’t have that many turkeys on it.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/06 at 10:47 PM

Scientists drill into glaciers and the ice caps to take samples of the gas locked in the ice.  They have data going back thousands of years.  When the carbon dioxide levels were high, they also noticed less ice, which means the planet was warmer.  They call these people scientists for a reason.  They need to prove their theories with data not just give their opinions.  Volcanoes erupting cause the same kind of global warming and are also responsible, but we cannot continue to dumps all of this pollution into the air and think the planet will not be affected by it.  Global warming is real and the planet will warm if we continue to pollute our air.  The science is there, you just have to read it and you will understand.

I’ve never found a Morel, looked for them the last two years, but came up empty.  I will be looking again in two weeks when I am out turkey hunting.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/07 at 08:06 AM

“in the woods by a tree”
——-
You mean the tree with the little white ring stumps next to it?

Posted by Henry Holt on 04/07 at 08:30 AM

Talked to a friend on the phone Tues. Was informed they were finding small black’s & grey’s around Shelbyville, Shelby County. Anywhere from An 1 to 1 1/2” in size. And a guy my buddy works with found 1 small grey here in Sangamon County Tues. Have 12 lbs. of blue gill fillets in the freezer already, heading to Otter Lake Fri. crappie fishin, and the asparagus at home are sticking their pretty little heads through the ground. Let the feast begin. Just wandering, I have but, has anybody tried deep frying asparagus, goes pretty with a mess of fish fillets & schrooms!

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/07 at 08:35 AM

here in richland county a few have been found but not many hopefully after this rain they will be poppin

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/07 at 09:16 AM

I usually find mine while shrooming as well.  Here’s a tip.  If you’re in your mid 40’s like I am and your vision isn’t what it used to be, take a kid along.  My son always finds the motherload in areas that I checked.  We did find a major, major. motherload last year next to an Elm along our creek.  Since then, the tree fell in a big wind storm…am I screwed in that spot this year?

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/07 at 10:05 AM

watch out for the shroom poachers by your dead elm.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/07 at 10:22 AM

yep the schroom poachers come out of the standing corn and the cougars come from the dnr

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/07 at 11:48 AM

Hey illinoisbonecollector, I looked in the woods by a tree and didn’t find any. Got any other hotspots?? Also brdchaser, thanks for the tip on the standing corn, but I’m concerned that all the deer hiding out in there have already eaten all the ‘shrooms in there. Do cougars eat ‘shrooms???

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/07 at 12:09 PM

Do shrooms eat turkey eggs?

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/07 at 12:45 PM

I swear I saw a wolf eye-balling a cougar that was eating turkey eggs under an Elm tree next to some shrooms.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/07 at 01:19 PM

^treehugger^ I tip my hat to you, sir. That last one had me laughing out loud. Thanks! My only question is, was all of this surrounded by standing corn??

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/07 at 01:22 PM

“Do cougars eat ‘shrooms?”  Only in Pike County.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/07 at 02:05 PM

Im gettin outta here. Tough forum!

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/08 at 12:45 AM

Jarhead are you on drugs? The man found them in the woods not in the local Eagles Club. They don’t grow in there. Hope the info helps you out.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/08 at 06:56 PM

CRACKHEADS

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/08 at 08:57 PM

^Lonestar JR^

Negative on the drugs. Shrooms don’t grow in the local Eagles Club?? I guess I’ll have to change my shroom hunting plan for tomorrow.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/08 at 09:34 PM

Jarhead….Actually I saw all this go down in the middle of a standing corn field in what looked to be a crop circle.  I had a picture of it all but Big Foot stole my camera.  Now I have proof of nothing, but I swear it’s the truth.  Just ask Nancy Pelosi, she was with me.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/08 at 11:47 PM

Thanks treehugger, that’s the kind of fun I like to have with my hunting partners. A good laugh will keep a guy young. If I ever bump into ya, the beers are on me.

Your comment didn’t mention if you got a picture of Bigfoot before he stole your camera. I guess it wouldn’t matter, it would be all fuzzy and out of focus anyway.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/09 at 09:26 AM

Great.  Yet another guy who owes me a beer.  I’ll take you up on that offer some day.  But it’ll be a 7/7

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/09 at 07:55 PM

Since turkey season starts in the northern zone on the 12th, they already have signs up to stay out of the woods until 1pm. Is that effective now or does it go into effect on the 12th?

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/10 at 08:20 AM

I was in the woods at Newton Lake and came upon a State of Illinois employee. They have the 1:00 signs up also. He told me I was fine cause I had on bright colored clothes.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/10 at 06:21 PM

I was in the woods at 10:00 when our paths crossed.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 04/10 at 06:22 PM

Next entry: Idaho hunters killed 188 wolves

Previous entry: Illinois youth turkey hunters fare well

December 2017