Illinois man dies after ATV hits deer

May 23, 2010 at 06:03 PM

SCALES MOUND, Ill. (AP) - A northwestern Illinois man is dead after hitting a deer with an ATV.

The Jo Daviess County sheriff’s office says 25-year-old Kurt Meusel of Scales Mound died after the accident Saturday night.

Sheriff’s officials say Meusel was riding northbound on a county road when the ATV hit a deer, then veered into a ditch and rolled over.

The accident remains under investigation.

This is too bad. Accidents happen and it is unfortunate. Helmets help but are no gaurantee.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/23 at 06:28 PM

I read this site all the time.  I’ve never felt as if i should post anything until now.  HawgNSonsTV you disgust me! I would hope this post you have made will follow you to your twitter page as well. Your followers should know about it.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/23 at 09:26 PM

Very sorry to hear about this young man losing his life, because of this accident !

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/23 at 10:03 PM

HawgNSonsTV ...he opens his mouth and his brains fall out…

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/23 at 10:04 PM

Good call on taking that post off..he was definitly not thinking, i almost couldnt believe he said that..I was going to comment but decided to keep my mouth shut and let others deal with it.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/23 at 10:13 PM

Geez ... lighten up! Because I said “I hope the deer is ok”?  Unreal!!! You guys act like I wished the accident on the young man.

Posted by HawgNSonsTV on 05/24 at 07:20 AM

Over 200 people are killed each year due to deer collisions.  That means you are many more times likely to be killed by a deer than the bear, wolf, cougar or coyote encounters combined.

If you don’t farm for a living, you really cannot appreciate how much damage deer do to crops.  Our household alone has had five deer/vehicle collisions over the last 10 years.

I love to watch the deer and love to hunt them, as well.  But, guys, there are too damn many of them…just look at the human death and property damage statistics.

Imagine losing your son to a deer accident, like this unfortunate family.  It’s sad…

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/24 at 08:28 AM

My mother almost lost her life to a deer coming through her windshield in the spring 2008 on her way up here from Florida. She also hit another deer last spring on her way up here for the summer.

I meant NO disrespect to the young man or anyone that dies for that matter.

I’ve learn 1 thing about these blogs & forums ... you will NEVER please EVERYONE ...ALL of the time!

SO ...If you guys want to get all wound up over that little comment…GO FOR IT!!!

Posted by HawgNSonsTV on 05/24 at 08:47 AM

Hawgnsons I don’t usually make comments when I see something stupid here but I really feel the need here. “I hope the deer is ok”? You have got to be kinding me. Joke or not that is totally inexcusable. I will tell you my little brother was killed in a car accident a couple of years ago (though not from a collision with a deer) and I can tell you if anyone were to make jokes about the circumstances regarding his death I would be looking to beat the living tar out of them. Take your crappy jokes and lame a$$ advertisements somewhere else.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/24 at 08:52 AM

this will get ugly with this bunch!

Posted by Andy Meador on 05/24 at 07:57 AM….It may very well get ugly ..but none of it will be as ugly as his original comment..

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/24 at 08:54 AM

Jakeb ... lol. Try decaffeinated ...you won’t be so tense!

Posted by HawgNSonsTV on 05/24 at 08:57 AM

Coondawg ... You were ugly from the start!

Posted by HawgNSonsTV on 05/24 at 08:58 AM

Andy Meador ... There is NO reason to plead a case. You’re just looking for a reason to jump on someone along with any other clown that makes a big deal out of it!

Just tell me 1 thing ... Why is that deer’s life so insignificant?

Posted by HawgNSonsTV on 05/24 at 09:07 AM

Why is that deer’s life so insignificant?..Posted by HawgNSonsTV on 05/24 at 09:07 AM….are you a peta member?.....because a man is dead….take the time and let your brain absorb that..oh I forgot it fell out…

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/24 at 09:21 AM

Standing ... thanks ...

Coondawg ... Peta? lol ... NO not by a long shot ...BUT it’s obvious I put MUCH MORE value on LIFE than the self righteous, whether it’s human or other!!!

I guess in respect for JEFF I will just stop the rebute with the self righteous!

Posted by HawgNSonsTV on 05/24 at 09:27 AM

So I guess this is an example of personal responsibility. Blame it on something other than the possibility that the young man might have been going pretty fast to hit a deer.I own two atv’s and Ive never seen the need to try to set a new ground speed record especially at night. The only way to reach speeds like that just about have to be on a pretty good road.

Its never good news for any ones death due to an accident but lets take into account personal responsibility.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/24 at 10:14 AM

Standing Corn - that basically defines your character; you are defending “Hawgsnsons”?  And then, in your usual hypocritical way, tell people not to “jump on their soap boxes until they have all the info”, yet you make accusations of him drinking, not having a helmet on, etc.  Pathetic.

My condolences to the Meusel family and will use this unfortunate accident to teach my kids the dangers while ATVing and need for safety at all times while riding sot that his death was not in vein.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/24 at 10:16 AM

It’s not so much what HAWG said, it’s what he didn’t say. The way it was worded implied no concern whatsoever for the person. I don’t care who you are, a human being’s life >>>> deer. I understand the attempt at comedic relief, but the timing and delivery were a little off.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/24 at 10:36 AM

True. Judge not lest ye be judged.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/24 at 10:52 AM

Standingcorn first off I have never said on here anything about the number of deer be it more or less deer population. I am not a hunter at all I have friends that do and good for them. All I do is fish and in case you hadn’t noticed that’s where most have my comments have been…either for Streamstalker or Pondguy. Secondly the context of the post seemed to have no concern for the deceased at all which is why I made the comment. I can’t claim to know the family but I highly doubt they would appreciate the comment in the context it was written.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/24 at 11:16 AM

Trust me when I say it would bother them if someone were making rude comments about their loved ones passing. When we lost my brother, a week or 2 after his death my parents were both searching for any possible thing with my brothers name on it, whether it was a post online, a newspaper article etc. They did find some articles online and in one particular article where people posted comments, there was someone who put a couple unnecessary comments up. I can definitely tell you that just added to the pain my family felt. Maybe it wasn’t Hawg’s intention but if someone is going to say something surrounding the death of another person, they should probably put a little thought into what they say.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/24 at 11:45 AM

He was concerned about the deer? Get serious.  Nice spin job.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/24 at 12:34 PM

He was trying to be funny and it didn’t work, period.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/24 at 12:36 PM

He made an inappropriate statement that i bet he would take back if he knew he would get jumped for it.  Maybe not well thought out but it doesnt make the man stupid or an idiot or someone who should be chased all over the internet “his twitter” because of it.  Oh and there arent too many deer spoon…

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/24 at 01:22 PM

There’s a time and place for everything. It’s okay to be concerned about the deer; however, any decent person would have interpreted his original statement as a sign of no concern (or lack of concern) for the individual. Call it how you see it.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/24 at 01:33 PM

clintharvey - I agree with your comments and assessment.  I say that Hawgs just comes back on here, apolgizes and admits it was inappropriate and we all move on.  We’ve all said things we regret at some point in life.  Forgive and move on.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/24 at 01:55 PM

gilly, should everyone else need to be forgiven for clearly taking a simple not thought out comment and turning it into a 40 comment bashing on his character thread? The simple fact that that comment took the thread this direction for so long… is more disrespectful than the original comment.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/24 at 02:09 PM
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

Next entry: No Asian carp found in poison zone