Emiquon amazing, but baffling

August 27, 2009 at 05:22 PM

For a few hours last Sunday, the Emiquon Preserve was ordinary.

Then, as if a switch had been flipped, bass went wild. After a slow start on the 4,000-acre lake near Havana we finished with about 150 largemouths, though keeping an accurate count proved impossible.

How do you keep count when almost every cast yields a fish? More importantly, why keep count? Better just to laugh and enjoy the moment.

Things were so good that fishing buddy Gordon Inskeep and I tied on crankbaits with which we’d never caught fish. Then we caught bass on
those crankbaits, as well. That was when I asked Inskeep for his best fishing trip of the year.

“The last 10 minutes,” he said.

Such is Emiquon. And such is the mystery of Emiquon. For all the amazing fishing, crowds of anglers never materialized this summer.

Last Sunday was typical at the massive restored wetland located east of Illinois Route 78/97. The day was sunny, not too warm and there was no wind. Yet there were fewer than 12 trucks in the parking lot.

“I just don’t understand why people aren’t here,” said Doug Blodgett of the Nature Conservancy, which manages Emiquon. “The people that are showing up to fish love it. And we’ve given out over 2,800 permits. But a lot of those people are not showing up.”

For those of us who frequent Emiquon, that’s good news. But it has me baffled. I hear people gripe all the time about the lack of good fishing spots. Now there’s a great fishing spot that’s open to the public for free and few people are fishing.

Very confusing.

Some are put off by the rule requiring them to sign for a permit. I’ve heard all kinds of stories about the process. For the record, permits are free and valid through Dec. 31. All you need to do is visit Dickson Mounds Musem (open seven days a week from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.) and sign a sheet of paper. And you must sign for yourself.

More cumbersome is the rule limiting anglers to electric motors only. But instead of griping, some anglers are setting up small boats just for
Emiquon. Others are modifying their boats. Last Sunday we met an angler who had removed the gas motor from his bass boat.

“I took it off eight weeks ago and there’s been no reason to put it back on,” he said. “Where else can I get fishing like this?”

In a public lake? Nowhere I know of.

Some anglers also grumble that the 18-inch minimum, one-bass limit is too restrictive. In fairness, until recently Emiquon was not providing much table fare.

But in the past two weeks panfish have come on strong. Now in addition to releasing countless 10- to 14-inch bass, anglers are keeping decent numbers of crappie 11 inches or longer.

Wednesday night Scot Jehle of Elmwood and his son Ethan caught 25 keeper crappie of 11 inches or better, 25 bluegill and 30 bass.

Unlike earlier this year when the shallows were hot, best results lately have come from 8-10 feet deep around weeds.

Be warned, that’s true for all fish. So you have to weed through largemouths to catch a 25-fish limit of papermouths.

One other reason people have not flocked to Emiquon is that bankfishing isn’t allowed. Frankly, the place doesn’t lend itself to shorefishing. The water is too shallow near the bank, the weeds too thick.

That’s why I’m not expecting much this Saturday. Youngsters age 15 and under can fish from the bank from 8 a.m. to noon as part of a larger
Thompson Lake festival.

The Nature Conservancy has cleared a spot east of the boat ramp and will set up stations for youngsters. It will be interesting to see if the kids
catch many fish.

It will also be interesting to see if fishing pressure increases this fall. There’s certainly no reason to think the bite will slow in the weeks to come.

Unlike many local lakes, Emiquon will remain open to anglers during duck season when hunters are not present. Hunting at the site is limited to Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

Barring a change in plans, ice fishing will also be allowed.

The only real bad news at Emiquon is the recent discovery of carp that appear to have spawned last year.

“Maybe the bass are going to get big enough that they will be able to keep (carp) recruitment down,” Blodgett said.

Let’s hope so. If not, a wonderful lake could face real problems. Until something changes, though, Emiquon tops my list of must-fish destinations.

“For kids I can’t think of a better place to fish right now,” Blodgett said. “Get them a crankbait that stays out of the vegetation and they will catch fish.”

ET CETERA: Monday is the last day to apply for free upland game hunting permits. Visit http://www.dnr.state.il.us/uplandgame/ to apply. ...  Joe Eppy of Bartonville placed 16th last weekend at an FLW Stren Series Central Division tournament on the Mississippi River out of Fort Madison, Iowa. Eppy caught four bass weighing 10 pounds to earn $1,573. His fish came on plastic worms and spinnerbaits. ... Former Illinois State Rifle Association executive vice president Carl Kuhn of Bartlett died Aug. 21. ... Pete Fenner of East Peoria reported numerous warblers arrived Thursday morning at Forest Park Nature Center in trees at the south edge of the prairie on Valley Trail.

wanna know why it isnt packed with people….. got plenty of reasons
1) trollin motor only
2. no motor on the boat, period
3. too big of lake for trolling motor only
4. if the wind is more than 15mph you cant get anywhere unless you have a $800 trolling motor
5. the limit of 1 bass per day SUCKS
6. the bass are less than 15 inches…. it gets old catching 1 pound bass all day

the best way to increase fisherman is to let people take their boats and keep their motor out of the water. the rule that no motor can be on a boat is completely stupid. its liberal tree huggers at their best. more engine oil gets in that preserve from rainwater coming off the highway than any boat motor raised out of the water ever would.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 08/27 at 09:27 PM

ya no doubt and the fact that you have to get a free permit to fish here . who comes up with these ideas ?

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 08/28 at 01:37 AM

Jeff you keep asking the question why nobody is showing up and keep getting the same answers. It’s not griping when someone asks a question and you give an honest answer. Some of us have boats rig with bow-mounted electrics, live wells, seats, anchors, and the rest of or gear onboard so yes it can be a hassle. Just because some group makes some childish rule “no motors on boats”. Instead of chastising us why don’t you go to bat for us to change this incredible stupid regulation, this is easily a 25hp lake.
Here is the answer to the same question asked on 7/17/09 of which I got no response.
I wish IDNR would take another look at this whole motor thing and not just Emiquon. I’m set up with a 25hp on a 16’ boat and yes it would be a pain to take it off for one trip to Emiquon. What is the big problem with just kicking it up? I know I can’t use it but it’s a 4000 acre lake that’s allot of water to cover by battery not to mention the problems of running out of power, winds and waves or someone having an emergency on the water.
Posted by time to go on 07/18 at 08:37 AM

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 08/28 at 08:18 AM

The DNR has nothing to do with the no motor rule.  The owners of this private property that are actually allowing the public access their land.  That’s who is coming up with these ideas.  Be happy that they are willing to allow you to fish and duck hunt on their lake, instead of complaining about the rules they have in place.  Do you complain to a landowner that sets rules for hunting on their land, or do you live by those rules in return for the opportunity to hunt?  No different here.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 08/28 at 08:28 AM

Well snshunts here is a news flash for you it’s my understanding that the IDNR stocked this lake for the owners of this private property and therefore taxpayer dollars were used so please don’t give me the I should be gratefull and beholden to them gig, that is so lame.Are you saying the DNR had no discussions with the conservancy before agreeing to stock a 4000 acre lake with 1.7 million fish of 30 differant speices on the taxpayers dime as to the access details. I know you have hunting on the brain because this article is about fishing Emiquon and not about hunting private land,so there a differance.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 08/28 at 09:37 AM

I don’t disagree that the motor rule makes a big difference. Personally, I think they should allow idle-only speeds with gas motors. That idea has been brought up with TNC. Right now they aren’t willing to make a change. Down the road they might be more willing.

But for now that’s the rule, and they do own the property. Yes, the DNR stocked fish here knowing it would open 4,000 acres of water to fishing at minimal expense. And the DNR has plenty of their own silly hp rules on various bodies of water. The whole 25 hp limit thing is worth revisiting.

What I don’t understand is why people don’t find ways to fish this place. I know lots of guys who have small boats for strip mines.

I guess I should just be content the crowds remain small, as some are advising me.

Posted by Jeff Lampe on 08/28 at 09:57 AM

Fishing on private land, hunting on private land, what’s the difference?  Both are using someone else’s property for recreation.
  The terrain of that lake and the surrounding land is very flat.  My guess is that their is a concern of erosion from wake if motors are allowed on the lake.  Tell me you’ve never fished a trolling motor only lake and seen someone trolling with a gas motor.  I’ve seen it on lakes that have NEVER allow gas motor use.  The easiest way to keep this from happening is not allow them at all.
  I’m not saying I agree with it, but it is what it is.  Talk to someone at The Nature Conservancy and see if they are willing to listen to your request.  If 1000 people politely request the motor ban to be lifted, they might listen.  If a handful of people complain on a web blog about it, nothing will ever happen.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 08/28 at 10:57 AM

I keep reading these articles on here about how great Emiquon is. Summer seems to have slipped past without being able to make what I estimate to be a 2.5-3 hour drive down to sample for myself, since I will be back to school next Tuesday. Next year will not come and go without checking out this area. I would also have to say for those of you who live near it, and fish it regularly, be happy there are no large crowds and it isn’t over fished, leaves more fish for you guys to catch!

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 08/28 at 11:37 AM

snshunts, there is a huge difference in fishing this body of water and hunting private land. being told to fish a 4000 acre lake with only a trolling motor and no motor is like a landowner telling you that you can bow hunt his property but you can only use a slingshot for your weapon. it doesnt make sense. its liberal do-gooders who come up with an idea and then they dont hunt and fish themselves so they have no idea how to make it practical for average folks. I have a fishin boat with a 90hp motor and i’m not taking my motor off to fish emiquon and im not gonna go buy a $500 jon boat and a $800 trolling motor and keep 2 or 3 batteries on hand just so I can go fish a flooded field.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 08/28 at 05:43 PM

also, Who really gives a crap if you fish a trolling motor only lake and see someone idle by with their engine. it doesnt hurt the fish, it doesnt kill wildlife. there is 4000 acres of water at emiquon, you could dump a 30 gallon tank of gas in this place and you wouldnt know the difference. more runoff comes from roads and fields than some boat motor. but hey…lets saaaaaaaave the planet.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 08/28 at 05:46 PM

Jeff,  Continue to enjoy and share every trip to Emiquon with good friends!  The cooperative fish management plan jointly developed by the IDNR and TNC at Emiquon has helped create a unique area and experience for the wildlife, fish and also the outdoor enthusiasts.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!  And you see it my friend.  And those with an open mind have an opportunity to see it too!

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 08/28 at 07:12 PM

I havent been able to make it out yet, but am looking forward to the opportunity!

Posted by PondGuy on 08/28 at 09:32 PM

Jeff the purpose of my comments to the article on 7/17/09 was to see if there were any other like-minded outdoors people relating to the different motor restrictions in this state and maybe have a discussion about them. Thanks for the response and I’m glad this motor question has been brought up to TNC albeit negative and will continue to restrict boat fishing access for some of us. As for the because I have a motor on my boat I’m going to use it attitude, well this is just what hard working, law-abiding people have come to expect from the elitist powers to be. I feel I have been vaguely labeled close-minded, but find it ironic that by supporting the lifting of the” no motors on boats” rule more outdoor enthusiast (as we are now called) would visit Emiquon. I can understand some people (local or not) wanting you to stop talking about Emiquon however you being the outdoors writer for PJS I understand it is your job. Do continue writing about your adventures to Emiquon and elsewhere, I do read them.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 08/29 at 12:13 PM

Time To Go- You are right on.  I am a fellow “outdoor enthusiast” as you are.  Dont you understand the elitist liberals that run the Nature conservancy and other nature areas know you better than you know yourself? I’m suprised they didnt look out for us and make a rule banning spitting tobacco into the water.  They should probably be concerned with people urinating into the water as well, since the trolling motor could never get us to the porta-pottys quick enough.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 08/29 at 03:10 PM

I see no problem with trolling motor only.  Using only trolling motors only should help keep the place pristine and peaceful for a long time.  Just be grateful there is another quality place to fish locally.  Maybe sometimes those liberals as you call them do have the right ideas how how to keep the emiquon beautiful.  I hope they don’t open it to shore fishing.  If they do it will become like most of the other local public lakes, a garbage dump.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 08/29 at 08:51 PM

Bubby- How in the heck will trolling motor only keep the place pristine and peaceful for a long time?  they allow cars in the parking lot…it rains…. runoff into the water. its a complete joke. im going to go out on a limb and predict there isnt another 4000 acre body of water in the entire midwest that is trolling motor only.  the best thing the nature conservancy could do is ask some fisherman and hunters for realistic imput.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 08/30 at 09:14 AM

Hey the debate over the no motor rule being lame or not is crazy The simple truth is, that’s the regulation, that’s the way it is. Go fishing according to their rules or stay home. This crap about “elite liberals” is total hogwash. If they are the ones who are causing a block or problems with “freedoms” then the self-serving conservatives are the ones who destroy everything. This isn’t even a political left-right issue. It’s a “NATURE CONSERVANCY” There are different rules than a state fish and wildlife area. shut up and fish!

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 08/30 at 10:15 AM

Jeff you mentioned ice fishing being allowed, will power augers be allowed or just hand augers?
It’s unfortunate that carp have shown up but in an article I read invasives were a concern since Emiquon would be connected to the river but the article never said if they had a solution, and at that time wondered how they would accomplish it.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 08/30 at 11:34 AM

Knowing what I know about TNC, just be glad it’s not paddle-only with canoes.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 08/30 at 07:47 PM

Exactly, ShelbyHuntr!  There may not be another area like this in the midwest, but I know of a few areas in out west that are 10,000+ acre tracts of excellent hunting ground that are owned by organizations similar to TNC that don’t allow hunting and access is limited to guided tours only.  Let’s be happy that TNC is actually willing to allow fishing AND hunting on their property at all, let alone for FREE.
  It cracks me up that some of the same people that are screaming for more public access hunting areas are the same ones complaining about a few rules set in place at a privately owned, public access hunting and fishing area.  If a place like this was opened up to public deer hunting, I suppose you would probably start whining if they required non-toxic deer slugs to be used, too…
  Oh, the powered ice auger is funny too.  Where in central IL do you find ice thick enough to need a powered ice auger?  I can see where it would be nice where there is 30”+ of ice, but I don’t see that happening around here until the next ice age.
  Regarding small boats with trolling motors.  It took me all of 15 seconds on Craigslist to fine a 14ft jon with trailer and electric motor all for $400.  For less than the price of that powered ice-auger that you’ll use, at best, 3 months per year, you can be in the water from March til November.  You don’t need a $1200 auto-guide motor to pull around a small boat like you might on a bigger, heavier boat…
  If you don’t like the rules, you have 2 simple choices.  Don’t fish there, or try to open a discussion with TNC to modify the rules.  Complaining about it on this website will change nothing.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 08/31 at 08:06 AM

The power auger comment was classic. I will ask that question with a straight face, if I can. snshunts had a great post, too. Some people will never be satisfied. I remain thankful Emiquon is open for fishing in any form and will continue to find ways to fish the area.

Besides, all this talk about fishing in regards to trolling-motor-only is nothing compared to trying to duck hunt the area. Good luck trolling around the lake with a boat blind, a few hunters, decoys and a dog.

Posted by Jeff Lampe on 08/31 at 09:20 AM

Well if you can’t ask the question with a straight face my friend then when it gets closer to ice up I will make the call and get the information I need. It’s unfortunate that you would jump on someone else’s bandwagon just to ridicule another PSO member.
snshunt you seem to suppose allot of things like what makes you think my outdoors activities are confined to central IL. or for that matter the state of IL. It’s my decision when I use power and when I use hand 6” or 1’ what does it matter to you. Who cares what they do out west and how is that even relevant to not being able to kick a motor up and use the trolling motor in central IL.You know what here are the simple facts, I will decide what equipment I need and how much to spend on it and when to post and what to post on within the rules of this site, your help is not needed.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 08/31 at 03:26 PM

Come on boys the Vikings used oars. Looks like we are all going to have to get back in shape. What ever turns out it’s good to hear the fish are there.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 09/01 at 07:43 AM

Well said Jeff2020.
  time to go, you’re right.  It doesn’t matter to me.  I could care less if you want to use your powered auger on 2” of ice or 4ft of ice, as long as the site rules don’t prohibit it.  You say you don’t limit your activities to central IL, but then you say you don’t care about similar situations in other parts of the country so basically you’re b!t@hing just to b!t@h…  There seem so to a lot of that on this site lately, and no I’m not singling you out.  Why care about the rules at Emiquon if you don’t care about them elsewhere?  My point was that the rules at Emiquon are not unique to Emiquon, but other large privately owned properties have similar rules, and some are even more restrictive than Emiquon.  See the relevancy now?  I suppose not…
  It just amazes me that people are actually complaining about public access to a privately owned property.  I will say it again.  If you don?t like the rules, you have 2 simple choices.  Don?t fish there, or try to open a discussion with TNC to modify the rules.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 09/01 at 08:09 AM

time to go, you’re right.  It doesn’t matter to me.
Then why do you keep rattling on repeating yourself to the point of using vulgarity and cussing at me. I think it’s time for you to just let it go. This discussion has been moved so far off topic it is now on the west coast

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 09/01 at 02:54 PM

Got my boat ready to go but sure could use a little advice to actually find the preserve. I’ve goggled every map I can find and ummm there is no water anywhere.  Im sure they are old maps but any advice on fishing the preserve would sure be helpfull.  Hoping to head out there thursday

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 09/01 at 08:27 PM

The lake/preserve is between the Illinois River and Illinois Route 78/97. Dickson Mounds Museum is to the west of the lake. From the north, the nearest two towns are Little America and Lewistown. From the southeast the nearest town is Havana. Not sure which direction you are driving from, but you can’t miss the place if you Google Dickson Mounds Museum for location and get there.

Posted by Jeff Lampe on 09/01 at 09:07 PM

thanks jeff
  I have the museum programmed into the gps so I shouldnt have a problem finding it.  Any suggestions on what the fishin is like.  I’ve heard from word of mouth its a spinner bait and rubber worm kinda place.  Kinda nice to have some idea as what to expect.  Its my first time on a lake of that size without my trusty 200 hanging on the back of the boat.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 09/01 at 09:49 PM

“There seem so to a lot of that on this site lately, and no I?m not singling you out.”
  TTG, apparently I hit a nerve with you, and it was completely unintentional.  In no way am I attacking you in any of my posts.  You, in fact, called me out personally in your second post on this topic.  I like how you quoted me out of context, too.  No, I don’t care how you use your powered auger, but it does concern me that people feel entitled to use private property but are not willing to abide by the rules set in place by the property owner.
  Obviously our opinions on this topic are completely different.  I hope that some day you can win the lottery, buy a few thousand acres of land, and open it up for public use with no strings attached.  Until then we all have to live by the rules set in place by this properties owners, and you and I will have to agree to disagree.
  Jeff, any news on the crappie tactics at Emiquon?  A buddy and I got into a mess of them at Storey in G-burg Monday evening, and I’ve got the itch for more.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 09/02 at 08:54 AM

This is the way I look at this whole situations.  Its another place to fish. Period…  Yes, it may have restrictions but if your a fishaholic your gonna be thinking of ways of how to get out on that body of water.  Life is full of restrictions.  I would love to shoot asian carp with a shotgun but guess what, I can’t.  So I shoot them with stick and string and it is still a blast. get out there and fish…..

Mr Lampe, since you have joined the brotherhood of bowhunters your life is gonna be FULL of trying to figure things out.  Where to place my stand, what broadheads, what cover scent, whats the wind doing.
High or Low barometric pressure.  My best of luck to ya.  By the way, where is that bat?  I know.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 09/02 at 11:12 AM

By the way, they do make a battery powered augar that works great.  Used one last year and it drills plenty of holes before that battery dies.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 09/02 at 11:14 AM

dont get me wrong the no motor issue does suck esspecially for safety issues,that small rain storm comes a hour early and turns into a thunderstorm with high winds and your battery is weak thats when the outboard comes in handy or there is a boat in troube someone in the water kinda hard to get there fast with ur average trolling motor. but i do have a mixed opinion which differs from most others and most likely cuz im only 17 and putting dual motors on the back and one on the front and five or six batteries is jst somthing us country boys like to do dont get me wrong faster the better but when theres rules they have to be followed so just improvise with the 3 tm plan and ur going faster!

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 09/06 at 04:49 PM

Yeah god forbid they wont let you polute the water with your gas powerd engine you ought to be happy that you are allowed to use a trolling motor if it were my lake you would be using a pair of oars if you are in such a hurry that a trolling motor is to slow for you perhaps you should give up fishing and get a race car,not only would the motor polute the water it would stir up all the mud and possibly cut some of the fish up with the prop also risk destroying some of the vegetation if you want to use your motor go to the river.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 09/19 at 11:08 AM

how’s that work with the dickson mounds sign in?and does duck hunting restrict the times you can fish?appreciate any info,i’m going to take a day and head over….

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 09/20 at 05:23 PM

Next entry: Hunters reminded about safety classes

Previous entry: Hoss’s Hawg Bait dominates tourney