Bowhunter dies in fall from tree stand

October 16, 2008 at 10:15 PM

According to the Quad City Times, Philip Nonnemann of Rock Island died after falling from his tree stand while bowhunting.

Nonnemann was found on Oct. 9 after falling from his stand. He was 60.

Barb Ickes wrote:

Investigators and Rock Island County’s Coroner-elect Brian Gustafson said Nonnemann died as a result of injuries he sustained in the fall of about 15 feet. His bow and arrow and two cell phones were still in the tree stand, Hunter said.

“He was staying on the grounds overnight, hunting early in the morning,” he said. “He wasn’t done hunting for the day or night or whatever. He was moving around, evidently, and he fell.

“He was enjoying some deer hunting and, unfortunately, it ended in tragedy.”

My condolences to his family,......

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 10/17 at 09:56 AM

Another fellow bow hunter dies doing what we all love.  I too echo coondawg’s condolences….

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 10/17 at 09:00 PM

We all share in the loss and extend our condolences to the family. Personally, for years I hunted with no safety vest on, out of both permanent and portable stands. The last 5 years, however, I never climb a tree without my hunter safety vest on. I used to think it was just someting else to lug around. But after a couple close calls myself, I decided that my love for my family and the sport I love also,I was stupid for not protecting myself from falls. We should all learn from these lessons.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 10/18 at 09:47 AM

I just want to say oone thing. I know there are hunters out there that say ; That will never happen to me! Well, I have to say never say never. I have been hunting for 8 years now, and I thought the same thing for the first year. But I kept reading these horror stories about our fellow hunters falling to their death. So I purches the Hunter Safety System Vest Harnees. You cant even tell you have one on. They are very comfortable, and WILL save your life. They are Priceless in m book. I am begging all you hunters who do not wear safety harnessess, to Please purchase them and start wearing them. We have lost way to many good men to the egoe problem of not wearing one. Please do yourself and your family and friends a favor. And hunt but be a safe hunter so we doo not have any more of these stories hitting the press anymore. Thanks and good hunting.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 10/20 at 09:08 PM

I have hunted for over 20 years and never thought I would take a fall. Well I have had several close calls the last few years. I bought a safety belt a few years back, but I got sick and tired of all my hunting buddies saying if I ever fell with it on I would hang upside down. So this year I bought a hunters safety system. Best money I ever spent. They are confortable and easy to put on. Ya it might be a slight pain putting it on but the alternative isn’t a good one. Remember you have somone at home waiting for your safe return…

Hunt hard and be safe!!!

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 10/22 at 01:27 PM

i have been hunting my whole life (goin on 17 years) and i have never worn a safety vest of any kind. But last year i had one of those falls but my treestand was only about 6 feet up the side of a hill so i didnt have far to fall but this year and have made sure to make that my first purchase. Also ditto for me with coondawg about the family i have almost lost my father to a fall. Everyone be safe and try to get the next stae record!

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 10/27 at 11:16 AM

That is terrible thing that happened.  Hunters do not realize the danger of hunting from a deer stand.  I was very lucky in August of 2007, when I feel 16 feet from my stand while hanging it and only suffered a severe wrist fracture that a week later I had to have surgery.  I count my blessings every time I get in a stand and put on my SAFETY HARNESS, I learned my lesson the hard way, hopefully no one else has to learn that way.

Posted by JohnPeyton on 11/24 at 08:53 PM

Next entry: Illinois archery harvest improves

Previous entry: Illinois waterfowl season opens

May 2019