Big Fish Fridays: Dewey’s big blue

May 14, 2010 at 08:41 PM

Fate smiled on Dewey Banks Tuesday at Powerton Lake.

As he was fishing, an Asian carp leaped onto the rocky bank near Banks, who was fishing the hot-water discharge. Banks said he hustled over toward the fish, grabbed the carp, cut it up for bait and a few minutes later landed a 55-pound blue catfish, largest ever documented at Powerton since a fall of 1999 stocking.

“I caught a 17-pounder last week,” said Banks, who rode his bike back to the discharge. Coming out was much tougher. He had to strap the big blue cat onto his bike and then walk them out.

“I’m going to eat him,” Banks said.

CORN, DO YOU PUT ON A TUX TO GO FISHING? DEWEY IS RETIRED AFTER 36 YEARS AT THE SAME COMPANY! IT IS HIS FISH AND HE DIDNT WANT HIS PICTURE TAKEN,HE IS A TRUE GENTLEMAN,GO FISH WITH HIM 1 DAY AND YOU MIGHT LEARN SOME MANNERS.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/15 at 05:54 AM

Nice fish Dewey and good eating but if you keep catching big fish you need to bring the wagon to pull behind.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/15 at 06:55 AM

who cares he caught it and can do whatever he wants with it….if you dont like looking at the pictures then dont look….simple as that…way to go Dewey you will be able to have many a fish fry of that one

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/15 at 09:30 AM

I see no need to treat fish in a metrosexual manner.  Maybe he should have plucked it’s eyebrows too.  LOL.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/15 at 05:20 PM

Nice fish! Congrats to Dewey!

“so if your gonna keep a fish like that treat it with some care is all im trying to say.”

For that being all you’re trying to say….you sure made a lot of posts to say it.

Who cares!!! Look at the smile on that guys face! I know, I know…..the “antis” might see that picture and use it as ammo in their fight against our hunting and fishing heritage.

It’s time to realize that the antis will use pictures that were well thought out and posed with a beautiful sunset in the background and everything done “just right” as well!

They are ANTI hunting and fishing, they are not photography critics!

Again, congrats on a great fish to the lucky fisherman.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/15 at 05:23 PM

Sounds like you are anti amateur photography to me:-)

I’ll make sure that if I ever decide to post a picture of a catch or harvest on here, that I take it over to the JC Penney Studios first…I’ll send you the proofs first so you can pick out an appropriate picture.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/15 at 06:11 PM

Standing Cornhole,

Who are you to tell anybody how and what to do with this fish? Sounds like a case of jealousy . Maybe you would catch some fish if you wasnt on here all day criticizing people.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/15 at 07:10 PM

nice fish dewey keep it up

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/15 at 09:48 PM

Great catch Dewey!  He reminds me of my dad and father in law…you eat what you catch, no matter what.  To those of you criticizing him not releasing it or not cleaning it up for a picture;  why don’t you give the rest of us a break!  Good luck fishin in the future Dewey

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/16 at 07:25 AM

I’m pretty sure Dewey did’nt set out to catch a fish that big but then again he may be that great of a fisherman and he got it back to his truck any means he could. How many of you could have carried it with one hand and rode the bike with the other? Besides that I’ve seen big flatheads look worse than that during spawing. Nice fish Dewey and congrats!

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/16 at 08:56 AM

nice fish! bet that was fun to reel in!?

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/16 at 10:17 AM

Great fish Dewey!  Keep ‘em coming.

StandingCorn, you need to mind your own business when it comes to someone else’s fish, Dewey can do what he wants with his catch!  You’ve caused a big distraction with your whining about how people should photograph their fish, next time just keep it to yourself.
Remember the old saying: “If you’ve got nothing good to say, say nothing.”

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/16 at 06:00 PM

Some of the steaks a person gets these days should be drug on the ground to tenderrize the d—- things! I can seee corn you’ve never been in a slaughter house.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/17 at 07:15 AM

Corn- Okay, we get it. You’re better than everyone else….Let it be.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/17 at 10:44 AM

To everyone jumping all over Corn…Can’t wait to see how many of you complain about a muddy & bloody deer photos this fall.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/17 at 12:33 PM

T Bones and Hot Dogs and dirty fish… Anyone want to come over for a barbeque later.  Standing corn, you can bring the mai tais with the little umbrellas. Douche!

Nice fish Dewey!

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/17 at 09:17 PM

Well said Andy…

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/18 at 08:24 AM

Where in the story does it say he dragged the fish?  It says he strapped it onto the bike and walked it out.  The dirt came from it laying on the ground and the red is blood, not bruises.  I don’t see anything in the story in regards to waste either.  It clearly say she’s going to eat it.  HE’S going to eat it…not you.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/18 at 10:48 AM

Bigger than any catfish I ever caught. My question/worry is “can you eat a fish that big from Powerton without glowing in the dark after words”?

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/18 at 10:50 AM

Just checked the DNR web, no advisory for Powerton. Plus it would be like most other rivers or lakes. So many lb’s per week or meal. But the advisory usually states if you read them closely, you have to consume so many lb’s for so many weeks, for so many year’s to have a chance to get cancer. So you get to a point, like the show say’s if it looks good eat it. And no insult Dewey, because I’me no spring chicken, eat what ya like, we ain’t gonna live forever. Congrats on a great fish!!!!!

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/18 at 12:17 PM

Does anyone know of any good fish smoke houses around the Peoria area?  I used to go to one in Chicago called Hagan’s that did a great job smoking fish.  I miss that place and would love to find one around here.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/18 at 12:57 PM

I don’t know of any treehugger, I do have a small electric smoker 25lb., and I brined some catfish and trout and they both turned out pretty good if I do say so myself.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/18 at 01:43 PM

I’ve got a wood smoker but it’s more of a pain than anything else.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/18 at 05:52 PM

Smokers are cool to look at in the store but i’ve found whoever buys one only uses it once every 5 years. they do more collecting dust than anything else.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/18 at 08:51 PM

I use mine all the time, make pork & beef bacon getting ready to make the deer, brine deer roast’s to make deer ham, do beef tounges and hearts, make deer and beef pastrami, summer sausage. One day treehugger I will have a wood smoker for when I do retire, I just want to get a cooler off of a box truck to have one big enough to hold enough to brine to make it worth my time.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/19 at 08:44 AM

Some t-bones and hotdogs are drug around on the ground before they are t-bones and hotdogs.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/19 at 08:34 PM

I’m to the point that I just like bringing my stuff to a smokehouse.  Easier, better, and EASIER.  It seemed to be an all-day effent and a pain, but damn good.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/19 at 08:38 PM

I will agree it is time consuming, but at the least I know it is what we have shot and how it is taken care of. The beef I buy from a good friend and I try to raise a couple of hogs a year. Also when you have it done, you can only eat so much of anything at one time, so you put it in a freezer, and though it will stay good, freezing does take the seasoning out of anything. Just like making Brats or Itialin or whatever. I make about 25lb’s at a time. My buddy and split it, and we always have fresh sausage. Plus doing this and drinking my home made wine, It’s a thing I can live with and really enjoy doing.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/20 at 08:17 AM

Next entry: Quail Forever adds Carmi chapter

Previous entry: Illinois turkey harvest second-highest

July 2018