16 arrested during roadside game check

November 16, 2010 at 01:45 PM

FULTON COUNTY—Illinois Conservation Police and the United States Fish and Wild Service arrested 16 people during a roadside game check on Nov. 14. During a four-hour period, 100 vehicles were inspected.

Arrests included five for waterfowl tagging/transport; three for falsification of deer permits; two for no valid driver’s license; two for illegal transportation of open alcohol; one for transportation of loaded/uncased firearms; two for possession of cannabis and drug paraphernalia; and one who was wanted on warrant

The primary purpose of roadside fish and wildlife compliance checks is to:

1. Detect taking, transporting, possession and other violations pertaining to fish and wildlife, and or
2. Gather information relative to public compliance with regulations which will enable the Department of Natural Resources to better manage this state’s resources.

Future roadside game checks are planned for the Central Illinois area.

Since they don’t have check stations any more to hang out at and look in your truck there going to set up road blocks.

Posted by Bwana on 11/16 at 02:38 PM

They didn’t say what criteria was used to determine what 100 vehicles to pull over.  Did they stop 100 vehicles at random or “trucks” that “appeared” to be hunters?  Sounds like profiling to me either way.  Compare this to to looking for illegal aliens in AZ in a roadblock; Obama would have sued IL and the ACLU would be calling the hunters who got stopped, wanting to represent them in court . . . especially the ones busted for weed . . .

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 11/16 at 03:23 PM

they were set up out in front of rice lake and they stopped every vehicle going east bound. they didnt stop the ones going westbound. there was no profiling during their checks.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 11/16 at 03:44 PM

ilhunter1986 - the fact that they set up in front of a lake is an example of “profiling” in itself. Use my illegal alien comparison again.  If AZ authorities set up roadblocks by known factories or farm fields where they know illegals are working at, that wouldn’t fly at all in this current political correctness environment.  I’m not in anyway sticking up for the scumbag poachers/violators, just putting things in perspective of how warped the US is in law enforcement.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 11/16 at 04:18 PM

Were broke in this state boys ,they gotta feed the pig somehow guess that extra 10 bucks for a deer tag hasnt quite met there expectations yet! Get ready for more nice surprizes guys! whats that old saying cant squeeze blood out of a turnup ?but Quinn and co. is sure gonna try!

Posted by trolloni on 11/16 at 08:02 PM

Don’t do stuff illegal and you won’t get caught!

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 11/16 at 09:15 PM

I agree with Whiskers52: Why would folks carry a gun that is not concealed…knowing it is illegal…why have open alcohol….again knowing it’s illegal..Come on everyone knows the Laws!!

Don’t do stuff illegal and you won’t get caught!

Posted by whiskers52 on 11/16 at 09:15 PM

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 11/17 at 06:16 AM

Bottom line.BE LEGAL!!!profiling my A$$.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 11/17 at 06:31 AM

Everyone that hunts know that they are subject to being checked at any time. So why this is a big deal I am not sure. Even with a DUI road check, you think that is wrong? I like it due to not wanting my kids hit while they drive or even to bust them if they have drank. That is why I drink at home! I along with A LOT of other hunters enjoy our time in the woods to much to lose it for being ILLEGAL. So do what you are to do and you will not get arrested.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 11/17 at 07:37 AM

Can someone explain to me the “waterfowl tagging/transport” violation?

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 11/17 at 10:39 AM

Captain I’ll bet they didn’t have road blocks at Des Plaines and Chain of Lakes the cars would be back up from who dun the fung. Just more big brother and it’s us guys, not from Chicago that get the road blocks. I agree we sould not break the law but it seems down staters get the shaft. That would be interesting too see who are and from where most money from road block stops comes from. I’ll bet they come from I 80 south.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 11/17 at 10:42 AM

Kind of scary when 16% stopped had some sort of violation.  Open alcohol and loaded weapons?  No excuse.  Ok with me to get loonies off the road.  Fine the dog crap out of ‘em and/or throw them in jail with Bubba..

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 11/17 at 11:06 AM

gock5,If I gave you my ducks to take home after the hunt and you are over the limit you need my name, number,adress etc. to be lagal.That is “tagging”.jerry k.Over 30 years ago they did this on I-57 N.bound and just checked hunters on the last day of deer gun season.I bet plenty of Chicago people got it then.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 11/17 at 02:29 PM

Why are we paying for conservation police or any police if nobody likes it when they do their job. Seems like a waste. Think of all the money that could be saved if people would just obey the laws.  Were the vehicles leaving the park the ones being stopped?

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 11/17 at 07:20 PM

I would welcome any roadside check. At least they’re doing their jobs. Wish we could see more of that.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 11/18 at 08:04 AM

Ol gobbler, thx!  Thought it was something like that.  Never really have to worry about it.  My partners and I always ride together and/or take our own birds.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 11/22 at 04:02 PM

Gilly1- why do you have a problem with it? Are you some outlaw hunter yourself? To me, they need to do MORE of these types of checks. Do you know how many idiots are roaming the woods killing more than their limit, hunting with other peoples tags, doing drugs etc etc etc. You say profiling…so I guess game wardens should camp out in downtown Chicago to enforce game laws? I guess INS officers should look for illegals in Alaska? Get a clue dude.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 11/24 at 08:35 AM

I am an “out-of-stater” and it doesn’t seem like you all realize how good you have it in this TOP 5 state for deer hunting. I have been coming to your great state since 1998 and I have seen many changes in laws, lotteries and fees. But, count your blessings as far as fees go, in most southern states our resident hunting fees just for deer & turkey are around $135.00 annual for a resident. I can remember when I could come to Illinois to bow hunt and gun for around $450.00. For the past 4 years it has been raised to around $800.00 for both. You might ask your politicians where that money is going, i have no idea. However, It is the monsters that your state produces that keeps us out-of-staters coming back year after year. I have hunted all over the midwest and nothing compares. Your state is the best and I will continue to hunt it, even though I did hear that fees are going up again next year. Hope all of you have a great season.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 11/24 at 11:09 AM

I got stopped at the roadside check at Rice Lake.  I wish they would do those things more often and in more places.  We hunters are usually our own worst enemy when it comes to public perception.  If you don’t want to be treated like an outlaw, don’t act like one.  If you don’t want to be viewed as an uneducated redneck, don’t act like one. Some of you wonder why we always have to fight to retain the priveledge of hunting. While we will never change the radical anti-hunters’ minds, if we all acted in a more professional and noble manner while pursuing the lifestyle we love, we wouldn’t have to defend it to the folks that don’t have an opinion either way, but they do vote.  If we cleaned up our own image, the DNR wouldn’t have to do these sorts of things.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 11/26 at 08:41 AM

Next entry: Illinois waterfowl seasons

Previous entry: A plan for ice fishing success

September 2017