Adieu uplands, hello snow geese
Well, Quail Quest 2008 is officially put on hold until fall. I’ll have plenty of time to ponder my New Year’s resolution of shooting a limit in one day. But with 10 months to find coveys and get hunting permission, I should be in good shape by opening day.
The dog and I spent this morning shivering our way through Banner Marsh. We saw no quail in four hours but he did point one pheasant, a hen with what looked like a red band on her leg (has somebody released pheasants at Banner?). He also pointed a doe but did not give chase when she ran out of the brush, thank goodness. There is some fantastic prairie planted on the Bell’s Landing side of Banner Marsh. But there just are not many birds. Shame.
One thing there are plenty of right now are geese. I saw numerous small groups of Canada geese at Banner (which is open to hunting, sign in and set up anywhere you want). And this morning Kip Stevenson informed me that he saw thousands and thousands of snow geese near St. David over the weekend. Reports are that there are huge flocks trading between Duck Creek and Double T, with some birds also at MSD. Might be time to get out the rags.
- Preparing to go to dinner (at Jim’s Steakhouse in Peoria) with college friend Jeremy “Jeremiah” Schaap. Since college he’s gone on to do well for himself on ESPN and as an author (“Cinderella Man” and “Triumph: The Untold Story of Jesse Owens and Hitler’s Olympics”). I don’t watch much ESPN these days so I haven’t seen much of Schaap’s recent work. In fact, the last interview I saw Schaap do was with a cute girl in a tavern in Ithaca. She treated him about the same as Bobby Knight did in that now famous interview from 2000.
- Getting ready for a Tuesday AM goose hunt in Knox County. They’ve shot birds for days now and it’s a sure thing. In other words, I don’t even need to bring a gun. Most likely the birds will decide not to fly in the morning.
- Preparing for Friday’s late-winter season cold. Last weekend, in the warmth, I actually pondered a warm late-winter hunt. Hah.
More from Jeff Lampe
- A farewell scattershot
- September 15: PIcture of the Day
- September 14: Picture of the Day
- Grizzly attacks bow hunter
- September 13: Picture of the Day
- A heart-shaped den
- September 12: Picture of the Day
- Wild Things 9-12-10
- September 11: Picture of the Day
- September 10: Picture of the Day
- September 9: Picture of the Day
- Open Blog Thursday 9-9-10
- September 8: Picture of the Day
- Albino deer up north
- September 7: Picture of the Day
- September 6: Picture of the Day
- September 5: Picture of the Day
- Wild Things 9-5-10
- September 4: Picture of the Day
- Still plenty of Asian carp around
- September 3: Picture of the Day
- Sika deer loose in Peoria Co.
- September 2: Picture of the Day
- September 1: Picture of the Day
- August 31: Picture of the Day
- August 30: Picture of the Day
- August 29: Picture of the Day
- Wild Things 8-29-10
- August 28: Picture of the Day
- August 27: Picture of the Day
- Scattershooting at porcupines and doves
- August 26: Picture of the Day
- Open Blog Thursday 8-26-10
- Where are the doves?
- August 25: Picture of the Day
- August 24: Picture of the Day
- Indiana ponders shorter deer season
- August 23: Picture of the Day
- Rejected Pictures of the Day: August 22
- August 22: Picture of the Day