State police firing ranges open Nov. 14
The Illinois State Police has announced its firing ranges will be open on Nov. 14 to hunters for sighting in and test-firing shotguns before deer hunting season.
Firing ranges in Joliet, Pontiac, Pawnee, Effingham, Pecatonica and LaSalle will be available to the public from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The annual program is offered in cooperation with the Department of Natural Resources.
Reservations can be made by calling ahead to the state police district offices. Targets will be provided. There’s no charge for use of the range.
Participants must have a valid firearm owner ID card and transport the firearm legally by having it unloaded and in a case.
The public is asked to call one of the ranges listed below before the scheduled date to make a reservation.
- District 5—Joliet, (815) 726-6377, Ext. 206, Sergeant Chris Garibay
- District 6—Pontiac, (815) 844-1500, Trooper David Diller
- District 9—Pawnee, (217) 786-6278, Trooper Rich Mahan
- District 12—Effingham, (217) 347-2761, M/Sergeant Kelley Hulsey
- District 16—Pecatonica, (815) 239-1152, Ext. 242, M/Sergeant Lisa Ditzler
- District 17—LaSalle, (815) 224-1171, Ext.117, Sergeant Bob Cessna