Jimmy John’s founder loves to hunt

February 11, 2009 at 10:13 AM

The sandwich business is obviously good for Jimmy John Liautaud of Champaign.

The owner of the Jimmy John’s chain of sandwich shops has apparently paid $245,000 for a license to hunt bighorn sheep in Montana.

That is just another in a line of hunting trips for Liautaud, who has made a name for tasty sandwiches sold at the chain he started in 1983 in Charleston as a 19-year-old. A quick scan of the Internet shows Liautaud has made hunting trips all over the Midwest in recent years to chase deer, elk and other big game.

He offers this testimonial for Three Lakes Preserve in Wisconsin.

“The potential at Three Lakes Preserve is there but you have to hunt hard to find the really big ones. The lodge is exquisite and I’ll be back this year looking for another 200 inch buck.”

In addition to shooting deer, Liautaud has also quietly emerged as a major collector of whitetail deer antlers.

This year Liautaud shot a buck that green-scored 202 1/8 inches while muzzleloader hunting in Kansas with John Platt’s Mule Creek Hunting service.

Here is an Associated Press story on the winning bid, which stops just shot of naming Liautaud.

Sandwich shop owner pays $245,000 for license

HELENA, Mont. (AP) - An Illinois man who owns a chain of sandwich shops has paid $245,000 for a license to hunt a bighorn sheep in Montana.

The license was auctioned at the Wild Sheep Foundation’s convention in Salt Lake City last weekend. The Wyoming-based foundation would not release the name of the winning bidder, who is from Champaign, Ill.

The sale brought $50,000 more than last year’s auction of a Montana sheep license. The record price was $310,000 in 1994.

Also at the Wild Sheep Foundation Convention and the Western Hunting and Conservation Expo, a Whitefish hunter paid $10,000 for a Montana mountain goat license and the Mule Deer Foundation sold a Montana mule-deer license for $8,500.

Montana offers the special licenses annually and receives 90 percent of the auction proceeds, which are designated for species management. The auctioning organization receives the rest.

The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation will auction a Monta na elk license and moose licenses at the organization’s Elk Camp & Hunting, Fishing and Outdoor Expo scheduled for March 5-8 in Fort Worth, Texas.

Cudos to Jimmy I’ve heard he’s a great hunter. Now he’s proving it to us all. Wish I could down a buck like that.In business and in the field Jimmy has the gift and knows how to get the job done.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 02/11 at 01:49 PM

Everyone is always jealous when someone takes a nice buck. Money didn’t sit in the stand or shoot the arrow.I bet 95% of the hunters out there aren’t even capable of making a good hit on a deer like that. Jimmys expectations of being only the best have vaulted him into the company of the business elite as well as the deer hunting elite. Good job Jimmy, you earned it in every way.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 02/11 at 03:51 PM

d4three,
Your argument is not an accurate one in any way, shape or form. Andy was simply saying when hunters have money they have the luxury of paying big money to find big animals and all they have to do is show up and release an arrow.

Subs so Fast you’ll freak. I like the restaurant, the bread is a bit tough to chew though.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 02/11 at 09:40 PM

And apparently he’s a D. Brown groupy too.

Money will get you very far in the sport, especially if you’re willing to drop $250K to shoot a sheep. Not to minimize anyone’s skill level, but that kind of $$$ in Illinois should put you in front of a big buck every year.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 02/12 at 02:27 PM

People who think money will buy you a big deer are normally those who can’t kill a big deer and don’t have any. I realize it creates opportunity, but there aren’t big bucks behind every tree anywhere. It takes time, skill, dedication, perserverance and luck no matter what. I don’t even know Jimmy, but hate how everyone always jumps all over people more fortunate than they are,and try to minimize their accomplishments in the name of money.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 02/12 at 08:05 PM

money can buy anything,im sure the guy has a buisy schedule,and im sure its hard to kill a big buck behind every tree on a preserve hunt.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 02/12 at 10:01 PM

What a “hunter” I looked at the Three Lake Preserve website and for $16,000 and up you are guaranteed a shot at a 200 inch or better buck! No scouting necessary, just bring your rifle and checkbook!!!

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 02/12 at 11:52 PM

If you had millions of dollars would you hunt your same old shitty stands and hope to see maybe 140 inch deer, or would you take advantage of your successes and go hunt where you know big deer are located. People are pretty quick to critisize, but they would be doing the same thing.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 02/13 at 08:20 AM

Andy there is no such thing in the hunting world as a “guarantee” any hunter knows that.  Now Jimmy just uses his resource “money” to put himself into a situation with positive results of a chance to harvest an elite animal.  This is a guy who built a sub empire out of a beat up garage with a old meat grinder and some bread down in charleston.  If he wants to pay tons of money in pursuit of his passion so be it.  Don’t u think that dedication,skill,and hard work has put him in the position to pursue his passion.  Most guys will never see a buck in the wild that will be record book potential.  So roll up your sleeves and enjoy eating one of Jimmys subs!!

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 02/13 at 10:29 AM

Andy you better quit rolling up your sleeves while on stand the deer will see your pasty white arms and run away. Get you a Jimmys Gargantuan open a beer and relax. Let the jealousy go. You have just as good of chance of killing that big deer on public ground from your $25 Wal Mart stand and with your PSE Nova kit as Jimmy does with his equipment. Sounds like you need to work on your set ups and scouting to me. Remember Meador there are no short cuts.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 02/13 at 10:50 AM

A guy named Jody Shenkel missed that big buck Jimmy is holding from 20 yards right before Jimmy shot it. He got buck fever he told me.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 02/13 at 10:57 AM

THE MAN, there is such a thing as a guarantee, click on the Three Lakes Preserve website and you’ll find all their hunts are guaranteed If that’s your bag, then by all means go for it. But don’t ever try to convince me that it’s fair chase hunting. I agree with Andy, if I had his money I’d buy a bunch of ground, build a nice lodge and me and my friends would shoot does, let little bucks walk and tag some studs.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 02/13 at 03:26 PM

More of the same ole same ole here…“my way or it’s wrong”. Get a f’n life and let people hunt the way THEY choose to…it’s not up to you to decide how they should LEGALLY hunt…..

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 02/13 at 08:24 PM

I wouldn’t call it ‘hunting’.  Just like I wouldn’t say paying for a high end escort is dating.  Sure you may score a trophy…deer pimping is legal but the goal isn’t long term herd management, its a place for well heeled folks to buy the experience.  I checked out sampson’s ridge price sheet after watching a hunting show.  I was appalled at what was listed.  This is not hunting.  Its target practice with expensive targets.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 02/14 at 08:25 AM

Alot of Western States have Governor’s tags and they go for thousands of dollars, alot of time over a hundred thousand.  The picture of the giant elk killed in Utah that was on this website was reportedly a Governor’s tag purchase.  It happens all the time.  While hunting elk in New Mexico 2 years ago on public land a outfitter located a 400 plus inch bull, he made a call to his client, he flew out, killed the bull and went home. He happened to be the man who purchased the Governors tag that year.  That isn’t hunting to me but to each his own.  Alot of these tags do not limited a hunter to a specific season either, nor weapon.  Its a 365 day tag.  Jimmy must of wanted a sheep real bad to pay that price.  For me, I will do it the old way and try and draw a tag, its a hell of alot cheaper.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 02/14 at 09:14 AM

Jimmy is big but in great shape. I heard he left a couple of 20 year olds in the dust while elk hunting in the rockies. He’s all muscle if you’ve ever seen him. Its too bad your jealousy has made you resort to attacking a mans physique. He gets driven to his stand to avoid leaving scent and contaminating the area hence much of his success. He just plain hunts with his head. The prerequisite for hunting success doesn’t include walking long distances and being a poor derelict last time I checked.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 02/15 at 04:09 PM

d4three must be on the Jimmy John payroll..j/k d4three. Jody missed both deer I shot this year…

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 02/16 at 06:54 PM

sad,very sad that you guys have nothing else to talk about-the antis are loving this.By the way I am Jody Schenkel and I shot 3 times last year and havested 3 deer.I know Jimmy,never really had a problem with him,we hunt alot of the same areas.As far as know Jimmy himself has not killed any big deer around me,he hunts alot of different areas.God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth-there is a reason for this.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 02/19 at 12:02 PM

jody- evoloution gave us two ears and one mouth. two ears for being able to locate the sound and direction it is coming from and we only need one mouth to feed ourselves! it is a joke to hunt in a high fence operation and pretend you’ve actually accomplished something to be proud of!

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 02/21 at 06:04 PM

Personally I enjoy the challenge of the hunt and preparation of doing all of my scouting and stand placement on my own.  If people want to be placed in a stand around deer that other people have scouted, then so be it.  I guess its a sign of the times that people always want to take the lazy route and not do any of the work that goes into harvesting a trophy themselves.

If i had the money I wouldnt be paying people to be doing the fun/satisfying part of hunting for me.  I would purchase a plot of land and set everything up on my own and enjoy the benefits of my hard work with my friends and family.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 02/25 at 03:40 PM

lots of chat regarding this sheep tag and my life choices.  Im a job creator, risk taker, high bracket tax payer. I have everything in life but time. that is my most precious commodity. between my farm manager and some exceptional guides around the world, I have had some success in my hunting journey.  the joy is in the hunt, the hunt begins with choosing the species then figuring out how is the journey.  Pulling the trigger isnt the climax.Anyway, i have fun and I kick ass at whatver I do. Im limited only by own mind and the more i push the better i do. resent or or learn from it, the latter will get you further. peace all and thanks for the chatter. Ps Jody Shenkel is a hard core kick ass bow hunter who we all respect and admire.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 02/21 at 06:41 PM

jimmyjohn;
I find it interesting that the above photo of you with the buck in this article where you are wearing a Wilderness Whitetail hat is the same buck you are shown posing with on Wilderness Whitetails website on a high fence hunt and not located in the state of illinois.
Just Sayin

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 02/02 at 02:13 PM

Next entry: Advice from a shed-hunting addict

Previous entry: Chicago Sun-Times fishing report 2-11-09