Archery deer season around the corner

September 27, 2010 at 11:08 PM

By GEORGE LITTLE
THE STATE JOURNAL-REGISTER

Archery deer season is right around the corner. Broad heads are being sharpened. The faint odor of buck lure will soon be wafting out of your truck vents. Don’t forget to double-check your safety harness. Out in the wild country, trail cameras were set out weeks ago. By now, stands have been hung, shooting lanes cleared and ground blinds are in place so that the deer have plenty of time to get used to the changes.

Some hunters have tried to up the odds by narrowing the trails with brush, or creating funnels- paths of least resistance - that will make deer more likely to approach within shooting range.

Early season deer hunting is a whole different critter than hunting in November when the bucks are in rut. Some experts contend a bow hunter will harvest the next world record buck before the rut, when bucks are still in bachelor groups and the big guy may be less reclusive. Keep your bug spray handy. Dust off your binoculars. Do some early morning, or late evening field glass scouting to see if you can spot a group of bucks.

Keep at it. When the crops are out, deer patterns will change. The bucks won’t leave their home area, but they will change their behavior when there is less cover in the feeding areas. Toward the end of October, they will split up and get ready to start butting heads.

North Dakota deer hunter Jim Nelson spent several years observing and recording the early deer season weather patterns, and their relationship to harvesting trophy bucks. Nelson’s findings show that you have the best chance of bringing home a trophy buck when the cosmos lines up, and many, if not all, of the following weather conditions exist.

According to Nelson, daylight deer activity increases when the temperature is four or five degrees below the historic average and the dew point is within four degrees of the daily low temperature. That could be a little hard to keep track of. If you know a StormTeam Weather Watcher, now might be a good time to drop by with a thoughtful gift.

Daylight deer activity also increases when the barometer is above 30.00 and rising, and the wind is blowing at less than 15 mph. If the barometer is dropping like a rock and the wind is howling, you may as well stay home.

Daylight deer activity also increases when the sky is overcast. Nelson’s findings indicate that fog, light rain or snow flurries ramp up the activity even more. Do you remember where you put your rain suit?

If all those weather factors fall into place, along with a full or new moon, you might have about half-a-dozen optimum hunting days between now and the shotgun deer season. There is, of course, one more limiting factor. Mr. Big isn’t going to walk up and ring your door bell. You have to be hunting where the trophy bucks live.

“If the barometer is dropping like a rock and the wind is howling, you may as well stay home.”
...
Not so!!! Quite the contrary! When that barometer drops, get outside! Deer will move like crazy heading for lower ground/cover. It’s an awesome time to hunt grin

Posted by Marc Anthony on 09/28 at 06:31 AM

I have seen some of my best bucks when the barometer was dropping and the wind was blowing strong.. good time for deer

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 09/28 at 07:00 AM

Good catch Marc.  I don’t know where he got that info, but it goes against every rule I ever heard of.  Temps are falling off big time this weekend.  I wasn’t planning on going out much, but with this weather I am definitely hitting it a few times.  Now if I can only talk the wife into getting the kids after school on Friday.

Amen, Marc.  I believe playing the barometer works as well for deer hunting as it works for fishing.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 09/28 at 07:55 AM

Ya I was always inder the thought if the Barometer was rising to saty home unless it is right after a snow or rain storm.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 09/28 at 08:33 AM

Though I have had some real good luck in the fog, especially heavy morning fog, most of my buck sighting have been on days with clear skies and a VERY SLIGHT breeze coming from one direction….no swirling winds.  I also get most of my buck activity with a first quarter or last quarter moon.  Fool moon has rarely been good to me.
———
Bachelor groups break up in late October?  Really?

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 09/28 at 09:29 AM

Early season i feel is the easiest time to get a good buck not a booner really but a good buck.  A few years ago i shot a 141 net 8 on opening day.  Lots of acorn drops near a water hole and he did come in with a bach group but my pictures are showing this year that they have broken up already.  I also like a front coming.  The cooler the better for early season.  That season mentioned above was a terrible year.  Done on OCT 4th with two pope and youngs but i never want to quit hunting in 4 days again!

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 09/28 at 10:36 AM

Barometer dropping is good yes but I think the best time to hunt is any time you can get out! I hunt every single second I can which turns out to be most every day in October and at least 20 days in Novemeber, 15-20 in December and then whatever I can handle in January. My favorite time to hunt is also Early season and then again late season. Hunting them as they come to the food source. Dont get me wrong, the rut is great and you can have some awesome experiences but its very unpredictable. Which is good and bad. Who am I kidding, my favorite time to hunt is anytime. I love to call! I usually only hunt evenings first of season but this 50’s for a high and 30’s for a low this comming weekend is going to be awesome! Definatly going to be hunting mornings as well. Good luck to all and enjoy the great weather!

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 09/28 at 10:46 AM

Clint, I still have trail cam videos coming in of bachelor groups.  They are starting to break up though.  Some bucks that I got videos of a few days ago are now loners, but were with other bucks a week or so ago.  I still have a couple bach groups though.  Last year on opening morning I shot a 140-something 10 that was with two other good bucks.  I believe the end is near for the remaining few bach groups though….very near.  Unlike this article states that they break up in late October.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 09/28 at 10:59 AM

we were getting video of a big framed 8.  30 inch beams with a bunch of cool stuff.  hooks on g2s and a drop and other stickers.  maybe 15 points.  im guessing 165 to 170 nontypical net.  he was hanging with a 5 by 4 with hooks on g2s also maybe 140 gross 130 net.  This was on one side of the woods.  3 weeks ago.  now the camera on the other side is just getting “hooks JR”.  Cameras have been slow this week for the most part on bucks.  Out of 6 cameras i think i may have 5 buck pics in the last week of better than 1.5s.  And none are together at this point here.  Kinda early for this.  we will see what inventory weekend gives us.  Scattering out at all our spots and seeing what we see.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 09/28 at 03:16 PM

I actually got 19 different bucks in the last week and a half on one camera.  No real bruisers, but some promising bucks.  8 out of 10 vids I’m getting right now are bucks.  Quite honestly though, that particular camera is set up over a scrape which is within 3 feet of a rub.  Bucks are using both the scrape and the rub.  Obviously almost completely at night.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 09/28 at 03:39 PM

We finally made it to another season…. good luck to all of ya this Fall !!!

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 09/28 at 06:42 PM

The temp is falling, and the stands are hung. time for the good ol’ boys to have a lil fun. out in the trees or hiding on the ground. when the big bucks coming your heart is gonna pound. so take it easy a slow steady breath and release that arrow right into his chest…one of my friends wrote this in honor of me missing so much class from oct to jan =) good luck ever one, have a fun and safe year can not wait to see the big buck photos being submitted.

Posted by menardhunter72 on 09/30 at 07:48 PM

on my way to work this morning i saw alot of deer moving should be a good morning good luck i will be in the stand this evening hope its as nice later as it is right now

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 10/01 at 06:12 AM

Late to bed.  Early to rise.  Hunt all day and make up lies.——————————————-
Good luck everyone.  I’ll be in the stand tomorrow morning.  “BULLWINKLE’S DOWN!!!!”

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 10/01 at 12:51 PM

Good luck to all. May you have a safe and a fun hunt. I hope to get out in the woods and fling some arrows. I was not able to go last year since i was expecting a baby(hubby was worried about me falling)but now the little one is here and i am ready to go. Wishing a good hunt to all.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 10/02 at 06:45 PM

Girls hunt?  Just kidding.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 10/02 at 08:42 PM

lol yes i am a hunteress. i bring the deer down with a bow, shotgun, and am working on getting one with my muzzleloader. When comes to hunting i can keep up with the big boys in the woods.And i love every minute of it.My 2 girls are just like me all so. We can not let you guys have all the fun. LOL

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 10/03 at 07:42 AM

Actually one of my hunting buddies is my daughter.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 10/03 at 10:15 PM

to treehugger and binks01 my younger step sister got her first bow last christmas and is hunting this fall and can almost out shoot me at 30 and under and i have been bow hunting for 5 years

Posted by menardhunter72 on 10/05 at 09:10 PM

I dont care if i get a deer or not these days. Cause, it is the delight in my childrens eyes when they do that makes my hunting with them a wonderful time. Just seeing their eyes sparkle and the flush of thrill of the hunt fresh on their cheeks. And then to hear them tell the story of their hunt to others. That what makes it special to me. The memories that will stay with me and them.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 10/06 at 03:18 AM

You got that right.  Last season i was hunting with my son and daughter.  I shot a doe and texted my kids to tell them what I got.  My doe was with another doe and both of them ran off to my son’s stand to bed down less than 10 yards from him.  A few minutes later my daughter texted back that she just shot an 8 point and watched it drop.  My son never took a shot at the other doe but I wish he had.  We would have tripled up in one morning.  What a day though.  Two deer and my son got to have mine bed right in front of him.  Nothing better than a day like that with your kids.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 10/06 at 08:52 PM

Next entry: Fall trout season opens Oct. 16

Previous entry: Fish passage project to help wildlife

September 2018