Illinois Outdoors at
RulesIllinois Outdoors at

Big Buck Stories

Submit your hunting stories here.

NOTE: To be eligible you must log in as a user and use the following form.

Auto-login on future visits

Show my name in the online users list

Forgot your password?

Register as a new member

Thank you for participating!

Big Buck Stories Categories

1960s :: 1980s :: 1991-92 :: 1992-93 :: 1993-94 :: 1994-95 :: 1995-96 :: 1997-98 :: 1998-99 :: 1999-2000 :: 2000-01 :: 2001-02 :: 2003-04 :: 2004-05 :: 2005-06 :: 2006-07 :: 2007-08 :: 2008-09 :: 2009-10 :: 2010-11 :: 2011-12 :: 2012-13 ::

The Root Wad Buck

November 01, 2010

Illinois hunting and fishing

Trophy Tidbits

Scorable Points: 10

Kill Date: 10/31/10

County: Fayette

Season: Bow

My name is Brandon Dial. I am 18 years old and have been hunting since I was nine. I was hunting on my father’s land in St. Elmo the evening of October 31, 2010. I had been sitting in the stand for about three hours when I saw three deer appear on the field edge north of me.

At 6:10 they started making their way to my stand, which is in a point. I picked up my bow and got ready for the shot. The deer ended up being a doe and her two fawns. Reaching the first shooting lane, I decided to take the mature doe. She quickly walked through the first shooting lane and I did not get a chance to shoot. Just before she reached the second shooting lane, I pulled back and waited for her to step into the lane. She walked right where I thought she would and guessed her to be 35 yards out in the field. I shot and the arrow flew just over her back. I watched all three of them run back where they came from.

When they disappeared back into the woods, I knocked another arrow and looked to the northeast. I immediately saw a really big-bodied deer coming right down the east edge of the field. When it got to the big shooting lane, I immediately knew what buck it was. We had a trail photo of the big 10 pointer one week before on a bean field not 300 yards from where I was sitting.

The buck went along the edge to a clover field just south of me. I about wore out my can call trying to get it closer, but he did not care about it. So I grunted with my E-Z Grunter and the buck ears shot straight up. I grunted again and this buck ran from 90 yards to 25 yards and stopped right in my shooting lane to the east. While he was running to me, my phone started vibrating with mom on the phone wondering when I was going to be home for dinner. The buck stopped and I put his vitals in between my 25 and 35 yard pin. I shot and heard the shot hit.

As he ran away I saw that I hit him a little too high. I listened and listened and I finally heard the deer stop moving. So I called my dad, who was hunting on the other side of the property and told him what happened. He told me to stay into the stand so that we could mark where I shot it. What seemed like an eternity later he showed up and marked the spot. We started tracking the bucks sparse blood trail. As we went farther along the trail got better and better. We tracked it laying toilet paper the whole way in the woods. After about 100 yards of tracking in the woods we lost the blood trail. My dad then decided that we would leave the buck until morning. I had a gut feeling to look to my right, down in the creek. About 9 foot down I saw something that I was bewildered with. I saw my deer’s hooves and horns sticking out of a root wad at the bottom of the creek. The body had been lodged in the root wad during the fall down the creek bank.

My dad and I got down in the creek and scratched our heads on how we were going to get this 300+ pound deer out of the root wad. So we called my brother to come help us. My brother had just sat down to eat dinner but he would come to help when he was done. Dad and I decided to try to get it out, and after about 10 minutes of trying we finally got it out and gutted. My brother showed up just in time to help drag it back to the truck. We got back to the house and weighed the buck. The buck weighed 225 pounds, grossed 124 3/8 inches and netted 119 3/8.

That made this deer my biggest buck with a bow and the recovery made this deer the most exciting deer kill in my life. This also made a very happy Halloween for me.

Your CommentsComments :: Guidelines :: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Comment Area Pool Rules

  1. Read our Terms of Service.
  2. You must be a member. :: Register here :: Log In
  3. Keep it clean.
  4. Stay on topic.
  5. Be civil, honest and accurate.
  6. .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Log In

Register as a new member

Next entry: My Doe’s first doe

Previous entry: Craig Dilley’  10 pointer

Log Out

Big Buck Contest

Submit your storyLone Wolf logo about a memorable deer hunt from 2010-11 or from the past to enter the Lone Wolf Stands Big Buck Stories promotion. Starting Sept. 20 we will be giving away nearly $3,500 in tree stands and gear to readers who submit stories and pictures.

RSS & Atom Feeds

Outdoors Archives

June 2018
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Copyright © 2007-2014 GateHouse Media, Inc.
Some Rights Reserved
Original content available for non-commercial use
under a Creative Commons license, except where noted.
Creative Commons