Illinois Outdoors at
RulesIllinois Outdoors at

Big Buck Stories

Submit your hunting stories here.

NOTE: To be eligible you must log in as a user and use the following form.

Auto-login on future visits

Show my name in the online users list

Forgot your password?

Register as a new member

Thank you for participating!

Big Buck Stories Categories

1960s :: 1980s :: 1991-92 :: 1992-93 :: 1993-94 :: 1994-95 :: 1995-96 :: 1997-98 :: 1998-99 :: 1999-2000 :: 2000-01 :: 2001-02 :: 2003-04 :: 2004-05 :: 2005-06 :: 2006-07 :: 2007-08 :: 2008-09 :: 2009-10 :: 2010-11 :: 2011-12 :: 2012-13 ::

Scott Wehrle’s 13-Pointer

September 21, 2010

Illinois hunting and fishing

Trophy Tidbits

Scorable Points: 13

Kill Date: Oct 30, 2009

County: Shelby

Season: Bow

2009 was my second year of bow hunting.  No one in my family had ever hunted, so I was learning everything I could hands on and would read forums, magazines, etc, every chance I could get looking for pointers. The previous year I was in a car wreck in November and had to have surgery on my nose and had little time to hunt.

I hunted every day possible from October first I could when everyone else said it was too cold, too rainy, Id pack my stand and head out. Ninety percent of the time I would sit hours without seeing anything but a squirrel. But I knew my time would pay off all it took was one good chance.

One day I was hunting over a food plot and had a nice buck come withing 30 yards and took the shot. I knew for sure I hit him as he ran off. I called my brother and told him the news, and we looked for hours and finally found my arrow with nothing but a little bit of hair on it. I was crushed; I thought I had blown my only chance, and worse yet, I had told my friends I had shot the deer and then came up empty handed. If anything, this just motivated me more, and I refused to give up and the very next day I was out in my stand in the rain seeing nothing but squirrels again.

October 30 will be a day I will never forget. I had just gotten off work and it had rained all day long, and the sun finally came out. I ran home changed my clothes and grabbed my climber. I had to walk a mile through knee deep mud to a spot I never hunted before. About half way to the stand, I was so tired of tracking through the mud I almost decided to go back but didn’t wanna miss my chance. I got my stand all set up on a corner of a bean filled and for about a hour I seen nothing. Then out of no where came two does. One ran into the open field; the other ran directly below me. I stood still as possible hoping she wouldn’t see me, but she immediately looked my direction and started stomping her feet. I thought, well, I better try before she bolts off, so I got up and turned her way when out the corner of my eye I seen another deer come into the field. I got up and looked around the tree I was in and seen it was a buck. My heart was racing and I was shaking something fierce and I was hoping the doe below me wouldn’t give me away. The buck seemed curious about what she was doing and headed my way and stopped behind a tree.

I then drew back waiting for him to walk out and figured he was at around 30 yards. The buck finally started to walk out and I found a hole and let my arrow fly. It seemed liked a good shot. The buck quickly turned, then fell in the mud. I thought I had him dead to rights but then he sprang up and headed off.

I then sat in my climber, hoping this wasn’t deja vu and finally got the courage to call my brother again. I told him what had happened and his first question was ” are you sure you even hit it”. After convincing him I did, I got down from my stand and started to walk to where I shot. I saw a lot of blood and then looked into the woods and there he was piled up.

He was huge and I was shaking so bad I couldn’t even dial my phone to call anyone. My brother finally got there and he was in awe by the size of the deer. We couldn’t even fit in on his four wheeler to haul it to his house, he had to sit on top of the deer and I held his rack as I walked back through that familiar mile of mud.

We took the buck to the town elevator scale and he weighed in at 280lbs and I eventually had him scored and he netted a 144. He now resides in my living room and not a day goes by i don’t look at him and smile. Now just to try and get another.

Your CommentsComments :: Guidelines :: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

Next entry: Paul Kelley Jr’s 11-pointer

Previous entry: Chase Malkovich’s 9-pointer

Log Out

Big Buck Contest

Submit your storyLone Wolf logo about a memorable deer hunt from 2010-11 or from the past to enter the Lone Wolf Stands Big Buck Stories promotion. Starting Sept. 20 we will be giving away nearly $3,500 in tree stands and gear to readers who submit stories and pictures.

RSS & Atom Feeds

Outdoors Archives

May 2019
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  
Copyright © 2007-2014 GateHouse Media, Inc.
Some Rights Reserved
Original content available for non-commercial use
under a Creative Commons license, except where noted.
Creative Commons