Submit your hunting stories here.

NOTE: To be eligible you must log in as a user and use the following form.

Auto-login on future visits

Show my name in the online users list

Forgot your password?

Thank you for participating!

Big Buck Stories Categories

Andy Kraft’s 15-Pointer

October 06, 2010

Trophy Tidbits

Scorable Points: 15

Kill Date: October 1, 2010

County: Mc Lean

Season: Bow

I had anticipated hunting a small standing bean field from my new Treewalker climbing stand all summer. The evening of Oct. 1, found me 22-feet up a walnut tree, overlooking the very field I had dreamed about. Within about 20 minutes of getting settled, a small buck worked his way into the beans, followed by does and fawns. I had decided to take the first available doe, and made a perfect 20-yard shot on a mature doe right off the bat. I watched the doe fall in the beans within 100 yards and settled back down to sit the remainder of the evening. Shortly after the shot, deer filtered back into the field. I was watching a decent 10-pointer eating beans when I caught movement over my left shoulder. A nice 145-inch, 8-pointer was entering the field on the same trail the does had taken. I sized the buck up with my Leica rangefinder and was contemplating shooting him. I had picked up my Mathews Z7 and attached my release when I looked back and caught movement behind the 8 pointer. The big buck emerged into the beans, and it was immediately apparent, by both his body size and mass of his rack, that he was a much bigger deer. The huge bladed G2 on his right side caught my attention. I had was already preparing to shoot the 8, so I simply drew my bow, centered the pin, took a look outside of the peep to settle, re-focused, and made a perfect 20-yard shot. The buck kicked, ran and fell dead in the beans only 30 yards from the doe. The 2010 opener for the Illinois Archery Season will certainly be one of my most memorable hunts. My only regret was not taking better field pictures the next morning!

Your CommentsComments :: Guidelines :: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Wow!! Nice buck. Amazing mass on that pig. Congrats on your opening day buck.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 10/07 at 10:35 PM

Fantastic hunt.  However, by law you have to immediately tag your doe.  You were in violation to the best of my knowledge.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 10/10 at 08:36 AM

he was not in violation. you have to tag your deer upon recovery and before it is moved. you are not required to quit hunting immediately and climb down to tag a deer. it seems no matter what a guy does there is somebody out there who wants to find a problem, on this story it’s stage01. usually they are wrong and don’t have clue and in this case it’s stage01!

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 10/10 at 12:02 PM

Straight from page 16 of the digest:

“NOTE: Deer
must be tagged immediately upon kill.”

Sorry, what do u want me to say??  I think somebody owes me the courtesy of an apology for the rudeness.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 10/10 at 04:53 PM

Thank you everyone for their kind comments!  Just to clarify…I had made what was perceived by me to be a perfect shot on the doe, although I saw her stumble and fall, I wasn’t sure if she was dead. You know, deer will belly crawl out of low cover(bean field) in times of danger. Since I had a valid Illinois either sex archery tag, I stayed in my treestand while waiting the customary 1 hour before tracking the doe, that was not know to be dead. It just so happened that this buck stumbled by while I was waiting…and I was able to recover both kills, tag them, and check them in by 10pm the same evening

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 10/10 at 05:35 PM

Your story above says “I watched the doe fall in the beans within 100 yards and settled back down to sit the remainder of the evening”

“sit remainder of the evening. “

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 10/10 at 05:54 PM

stage01- you won’t find a game warden who interprets immediately upon kill as climb down and go to recover deer before shooting any other deer in the area. if you interpret the law as you see it, hunters would have to track deer right after the shot regardless of the hit. i will stand by my original statements and say he is not in violation and there is always somebody lurking out there to try to find something wrong. the game warden in my area interprets the law to mean that you tag it immediate upon kill which can only be determined upon recovery. until a recovery has been made the hunter can continue to hunt as long as he has valid tags.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 10/10 at 08:11 PM

Sorry, I guess I will be the bad guy and stand by my interpretation.  There is a reason we have this law.  Example:  (with one antlered permit)

2:00pm in tree stand.  Basket buck walks by for perfect shot.  You put the perfect shot into him at 2:30.  Let’s all be HONEST here, you are well aware when its a kill shot.  Hunter thinks…hmmm.. it’s still early yet, let’s stay here see what else walks by.  6:30 pm 15 pointer you shoot him.  Recover the the 15 pt and tag him, leave the basket where he lies.  That’s why we have this law sir.  You must tag the deer immediately upon kill.  I see this law as a protection against culling.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 10/10 at 08:41 PM

I’m sorry but it’s not worded “immediately upon recovery”  It says “immediately upon kill”

jcdeckhand09, if you shoot a deer and see it dead and don’t tag it because you are too busy hunting for the next deer, that is illegal.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 10/10 at 10:13 PM

? move, transport or field dress a deer upon kill
before attaching and properly sealing and cutting
out the designated notch of the temporary
harvest tag portion of the permit. NOTE: Deer
must be tagged immedi ately upon kill.

CPO will tell you it does not mean get down and go tag it.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 10/10 at 11:39 PM

I believe this is an example of something that is illegal according to how the above is written:

Combo permit in pocket.  Shoot doe at 2:00 pm watch doe bleed out and die 50 yards away in the field.  You continue to hunt waiting for a buck, and shoot buck at 6pm.  Doe has been dead for almost 4hrs in plain sight of your stand.  I don’t see how letting the doe lay there for 4 hrs untagged abides by “NOTE: Deer
must be tagged immediately upon kill.”

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 10/11 at 03:56 PM

stage01- you better get on todays featured hunter as he did the same thing!

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 10/11 at 04:43 PM

stage01 - If that were the case then say you’re hunting and you have 2 tags and are in need of filling a freezer, it’s the only day you can hunt, or it’s the last day… 3-4 deer walk in.  You shoot one and it drops.  The others stand around wondering what happened.  Do you climb out of your stand only to spook the others then you’re possibly left with eating a tag or shoot one that’s standing around then go tag both of them?  I know what I’d do and I wouldn’t be concerned of any law violation.  I think you have way too much time on your hands.  Why don’t you go stir the pot somewhere else.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 10/14 at 07:58 AM

I think people have been doing things so long they don’t bother keeping up with the laws.  Nobody likes to get out of their stand early and possibly spook deer, but if you watch the deer u just shot bleed out, wobble, fall and lay motionless on it’s side..it’s time to tag it.  This statement is plain and simple “immediately upon kill”  Sorry you can’t fill the freezer, sorry its the last day, sorry it’s the only day you can hunt.  Can you use those excuses to break any other law?  no.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 10/14 at 09:32 PM

i think it’s time for Stage01 to exit Stage-left.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 10/15 at 07:30 AM

Stage01 and others-  Although I am one that usually never writes on these blogs, I wanted to put my 2 cents worth of information on this topic.  First of all, in the story above, it does not mention watching the doe die, she just fell 100 yards away, nobody in these blogs nor the story ever said the doe died, just fell… over a hill, into the edge of the timber, in a ravine, etc… catch my drift we as readers do not know.  So for everyone here claims that this hunter took a deer illegally, its only speculation and if you ask 10 game wardens, “did this man break the law,” you would get 10 different responces.  I can tell you that 90% of all bow hunters, would have sat back down waited for a while, then got down.  In that time, do not for one second tell me if a deer of this size walked in front of you, that you wouldn’t shoot it since you still have an open either sex tag…  I read some jelosy here, but I also wanted to prove the actual law for harvesting an animal, it is below:

Section 670.40 Statewide Deer Hunting Rules ( C ):
The temporary harvest tag shall be attached and properly sealed immediately upon kill and before the deer is moved, transported or field dressed. No person shall leave any deer that has been killed without properly attaching the temporary harvest tag to the deer in the manner prescribed on the permit

I think it a very fine line, but either way…  VERY NICE DEER for early october!

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 10/18 at 10:27 AM

Hey Andy, that is one nice buck. Congratulations on a fine deer, especially when you can take it on your own property.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 10/18 at 10:54 PM

Next entry: Chris Johnson’s early October buck

Previous entry: Joe Orsega’s 12-pointer

Big Buck Contest

Submit your storyLone Wolf logo about a memorable deer hunt from 2010-11 or from the past to enter the Lone Wolf Stands Big Buck Stories promotion. Starting Sept. 20 we will be giving away nearly $3,500 in tree stands and gear to readers who submit stories and pictures.

Outdoors Archives