Illinois Outdoors at
RulesIllinois Outdoors at

Big Buck Stories

Submit your hunting stories here.

NOTE: To be eligible you must log in as a user and use the following form.

Auto-login on future visits

Show my name in the online users list

Forgot your password?

Register as a new member

Thank you for participating!

Big Buck Stories Categories

1960s :: 1980s :: 1991-92 :: 1992-93 :: 1993-94 :: 1994-95 :: 1995-96 :: 1997-98 :: 1998-99 :: 1999-2000 :: 2000-01 :: 2001-02 :: 2003-04 :: 2004-05 :: 2005-06 :: 2006-07 :: 2007-08 :: 2008-09 :: 2009-10 :: 2010-11 :: 2011-12 :: 2012-13 ::

John Schultz’s 12-pointer

November 14, 2008

Illinois hunting and fishing

Trophy Tidbits

Scorable Points: 12

Kill Date: Nov. 14, 2008

County: Peoria

Season: Bow

EDITOR’S NOTE: Here’s the story of John Schultz’s 12-point buck in the Peoria Heights hunter’s own words.

This is only my second year bowhunting and I can’t believe what just happened to me! 

I arrived at a property in Hanna City that I am allowed to hunt around 8:30 a.m. I had decided to try and make an all-day sit since I hadn’t seen much action in the last four days. I went to a ladder stand I had set up between an alfalfa field and a cut corn field and sat until around 12:30 p.m. Then I decided to get my climber out of my truck and move to the back of the property overlooking a 40-acre alfalfa plot.

I had a good cross wind but only saw minimal movement. Around 2:15 p.m. I saw a large 8-pointer moving on the backside of the cornfield I just left across the ravine behind me. Needless to say, I was pretty upset! I decided to stick it out until dark in my climber. Around 3:35 a doe came out into the alfalfa field and hung up around 45 yards out. The weather had turned colder as the wind picked up. As dusk started setting in I decided enough was enough and climbed down the tree.

Feeling frustrated and dejected yet again I started for my truck. I got a few yards and decided to do a stalk on the doe because the wind was just right. I set my climber and pack down and started up the hill towards the crest in the field. As I come over the crest I am surprised by not only the doe but six other deer standing just 40 yards away!

Daylight was fading so I took a few steps towards them. As I did this they all scattered. “Foiled again,” I thought. I started back towards my truck again and decided to look behind me one last time. As I looked behind me, they were all there again! Just as I took the few steps back towards them a buck came tearing out of the woods to my left into the field dogging all of the does. I stood and watched until I could get a decent shot on him.

Two does broke to my right. The wind was blowing in the direction they were heading. The first doe reached my scent and took off running in the opposite direction. As the doe did this, the buck stopped upwind of me and stared at me for what seemed like an hour because I was frozen!

Finally, the second doe broke to my right and the buck got distracted by her and gave chase. The buck chased the doe to within 25 yards of me. He stood broadside to me, still tracking the doe. I drew my bow and put the “barely there” pin behind his shoulder and released. I heard for the very first time the “THUNK” of arrow through chest cavity and the gasp of air afterwards. He took off running. I wasn’t positive of my shot placement so I backed out. 

Once out I called a friend from work who had been out at the property earlier. He told me the coyotes were out thick and I had better go back in a couple of hours to find him or there would be nothing left of him. He was nice enough to meet me back at the property to help me recover my buck. We walked to the place I took the shot and started searching for my arrow or a blood trail. I didn’t find my arrow and the blood was hard to find in the dark with just flashlights.

As we kept walking my buddy spotted him! He didn’t even make it 50 yards. The buck expired right there in the middle of the alfalfa field. My buddy was right. The coyotes had already started on him when we got there. We finished field dressing him and put him on the sled and drug him for three-quarters of a mile back to the truck.

For my first buck, I never thought I would get one this big let alone one from ground stalking. I will NEVER forget this hunt! I was on the last two nights of my vacation and I was feeling like another season was going to go by where I had to eat “Tag Soup” again. I am going to have him shoulder mounted.

Here it is, 1:24 am and I am STILL on an adrenaline rush from this hunt!

Illinois hunting and fishing


Your CommentsComments :: Guidelines :: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

I gotta say thanks to my buddy Fred Morris for helping me track, field dress, drag, and butcher my first bow buck!!
Big props to Huggy Bear! Thanks man!

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 12/04 at 05:29 PM

Comment Area Pool Rules

  1. Read our Terms of Service.
  2. You must be a member. :: Register here :: Log In
  3. Keep it clean.
  4. Stay on topic.
  5. Be civil, honest and accurate.
  6. .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Log In

Register as a new member

Next entry: Drew Homan’s 14-pointer

Previous entry: Aron Shofner’s 12-pointer

Log Out

Big Buck Contest

Submit your storyLone Wolf logo about a memorable deer hunt from 2010-11 or from the past to enter the Lone Wolf Stands Big Buck Stories promotion. Starting Sept. 20 we will be giving away nearly $3,500 in tree stands and gear to readers who submit stories and pictures.

RSS & Atom Feeds

Outdoors Archives

January 2020
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  
Copyright © 2007-2014 GateHouse Media, Inc.
Some Rights Reserved
Original content available for non-commercial use
under a Creative Commons license, except where noted.
Creative Commons