Illinois Outdoors at
RulesIllinois Outdoors at

Big Buck Stories

Submit your hunting stories here.

NOTE: To be eligible you must log in as a user and use the following form.

Auto-login on future visits

Show my name in the online users list

Forgot your password?

Register as a new member

Thank you for participating!

Big Buck Stories Categories

1960s :: 1980s :: 1991-92 :: 1992-93 :: 1993-94 :: 1994-95 :: 1995-96 :: 1997-98 :: 1998-99 :: 1999-2000 :: 2000-01 :: 2001-02 :: 2003-04 :: 2004-05 :: 2005-06 :: 2006-07 :: 2007-08 :: 2008-09 :: 2009-10 :: 2010-11 :: 2011-12 :: 2012-13 ::

Drake Anthony’s 8-pointer

November 21, 2008

Illinois hunting and fishing

Trophy Tidbits

Scorable Points: 8

Kill Date: Nov. 21, 2008

County: Tazewell

Season: Shotgun

EDITOR’S NOTE: Here in the words of Drake Anthony of Goodfield is the story of his hunt for an 8-point buck.

Year after year, every hunt yielded the same results. Either the weather was bad, other hunters made too much noise, we’d lose our hunting spot, you name it, it happened to us. After three years of the same problems, I was determined to change my luck.

A couple weeks before firearm season, my dad and I went scouting for a place to put our deer stand. While walking along a heavily used deer trail, we found a tree shredded by a buck. By the size of the tree, we could tell this wasn’t just a basket-racked buck. We set up our stand about thirty yards from the tree hoping that we would see this buck on opening day.

When I woke up the morning of opening day I felt that my luck was finally about to change. We climbed into our stand at about six, luckily for us we had a light wind blowing in our face. After about a half an hour of watching and listening, I heard something moving to my right. The brush was too thick where I heard the noise coming from so I couldn’t see the source of the noise, but I got into position anyway.

Sure enough, after a couple of seconds, I saw a buck step into my view. When I saw its rack I about had a heart attack, this was the buck we were waiting on! The buck was facing me so I couldn’t get a good shot off, but after a few moments he turned and started walking to his tree. He was still quartering towards me, so I put my sight on is shoulder, pulled the trigger, and hoped for the best.

The explosion silenced all of the animals in the woods, and after a suspenseful moment, he dropped within a few feet of his rubbed tree. I high fived my dad, and after a few minutes we stepped out of the stand to look at my kill. It was a big eight-pointer, it field dressed at about 220 pounds. The neck on the buck was huge so I knew it would make a great mount, and because my dad is a taxidermist, I’ll be able to have it up on my bedroom wall soon.

All in all, it was nice to finally have some good luck for a change. My dad has always told me to never give up, and all of these years of patience gave us a hunt that we will remember for the rest of our lives.

Your CommentsComments :: Guidelines :: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Comment Area Pool Rules

  1. Read our Terms of Service.
  2. You must be a member. :: Register here :: Log In
  3. Keep it clean.
  4. Stay on topic.
  5. Be civil, honest and accurate.
  6. .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Log In

Register as a new member

Next entry: Frank Lyerla’s 8-pointer

Previous entry: Glen Hasenheyer’s 8-pointer

Log Out

Big Buck Contest

Submit your storyLone Wolf logo about a memorable deer hunt from 2010-11 or from the past to enter the Lone Wolf Stands Big Buck Stories promotion. Starting Sept. 20 we will be giving away nearly $3,500 in tree stands and gear to readers who submit stories and pictures.

RSS & Atom Feeds

Outdoors Archives

May 2018
    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31    
Copyright © 2007-2014 GateHouse Media, Inc.
Some Rights Reserved
Original content available for non-commercial use
under a Creative Commons license, except where noted.
Creative Commons